Erasmus Mundus comprises three actions:
- Joint programmes
- Attractiveness projects
Erasmus Mundus Joint Programmes
Under Action 1, Erasmus Mundus supports Joint Programmes (Masters Courses and Joint Doctorates) that are operated by consortia of higher education institutions from the EU and (since 2009) elsewhere in the world. They provide an integrated course and joint or multiple diplomas following study or research at two or more higher education institutions.
Erasmus Mundus funds a number of scholarships for students and academics studying or teaching on Erasmus Mundus Masters Courses. Since 2010, fellowships have also been available for doctoral candidates following one of the Joint doctorates.
Scholarships cover participation costs, subsistence costs, and insurance for the duration of the study period. Many students also have the right to a contribution to travel costs.
Erasmus Mundus partnerships
Under Action 2, Erasmus Mundus Partnerships bring together higher education institutions from Europe and from a particular region in the world. Together, the partnerships manage mobility flows between the two regions for a range of academic levels—undergraduate, masters, doctorate, post-doctorate—and for academic staff.
Scholarships cover participation costs, subsistence costs, insurance for the duration of the study period, plus a contribution to travel costs.
Erasmus Mundus Attractiveness Projects
Under Action 3, Erasmus Mundus funds projects to enhance the attractiveness and visibility of European higher education worldwide. Activities focus on the international dimension of higher education, often targeting a particular region or academic discipline.
Funding is available for:
- European joint masters and doctorates
- Partnerships with non-European higher education institutions and scholarships for students and academics
- Projects to promote European higher education worldwide
In popular culture
Pakistani novelist Nimra Ahmed's novel "Jannat K Patte" (Leaves of Heaven) is based on Erasmus Programme, where the protagonist Haya went to Sabancı University through Erasmus Mundus, which marked the turning point in her life.
- Erasmus Mundus website - European Commission
- Erasmus Mundus website - Education Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency
- Erasmus Mundus Masters Courses
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorates
- Erasmus Mundus Partnerships
- Erasmus Mundus Attractiveness Projects
- Erasmus Mundus Students and Alumni Association (EMA)
- Erasmus Mundus Quality Assurance (EMQA)
- Study in Europe