Eaghra Poprigh mac Saorghus
Eaghra Poprigh mac Saorghus was a member of the Gailenga people of north Connacht. They were originally from the kingdom of Brega on the east coast of Ireland. Dubhaltach Mac Fhirbhisigh (665.5., pp. 654–665) gives his pedigree as:
- Eaghra Paiprigh, from whom are Ui Eaghra, s. Saorghus s. Béac s. Flaithgheas, from whom are Clann Flaithgheasa, s. Taichleach (aforementioned) s. Ceann Faoladh s. Diarmuid s. Fionnbharr s. Bréanainn s. Nad Fraoich s. Fidhsheang (or Finnéan, or Idhéan, or Fidhean, or Iodhan) s. Fiodhchuire, from whom are Ui Fhiodhchuire, s. Airtchearb s. Nia Corb s. Loí, from whom are Luighne, s. Cormac Gaileang s. Tadhg.
The last name is that of Tadhg mac Cian, described at 660.6 (pp. 646–647) as the son of Cian, son of Ailill Aulom. Cian is given as the son of Sadhbh inion Conn Cétchathach (661.1, pp. 646–647). At 660.4 on the same pages is written:
- It is the family of Cian which is announced openly here according to the old books which begin thus below: The families of Éibhear in Leath Chuinn: eastern and western Gaileanga, southern and northern Cianachta, eastern and western Luighne, and the four (or seven) Dealbhna, i.e., Dealbhna Mhór and Dealbhna Bheag in Midhe and Dealbhna of Eathair in western Midhe, and Dealbhna of Tír Dhá Loch in Connacht.
The Annals of the Four Masters, sub anno 926, state "Eaghra, son of Poprigh, lord of Luighne, in Connaught; ... died."
At 665.5 and 666.2, Mac Fhirbhisigh names his sons as Muirgheas and Maghnus. Muirgheas's descendants are given down to the brothers, Murchadh and Aodh Ua hEaghra (King of Luighne in 1155). Maghnus's descendants are brought down to Tadhg and Cian mac Tadhg mac Cormac Ó hEaghra, and their first cousins, Oilill, Brian and Cormac Óg mac Cormac Óg mac Cormac Ó hEaghra, these five men being alive in 1664.
Other descendants would include:
- Charles O'Hara, 1st Baron Tyrawley, died 1724, father of
- James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley, 1682–1774, father of
- Charles O'Hara, 1740–1802, surrendered the British army at the Siege of Yorktown 1781.
- Robert O'Hara Burke, 1820–1861, leader of the ill-fated Burke and Wills expedition.
Ailill Aulom =Sadhbh inion Conn Céadchathach | | Cian & six brothers | | Tadhg | (thirteen generations) | Saorghus mac Béac | |___________________________________________________________________________________________________ | | | | Eaghra Poprigh, died 926. Sleiteachán | | |________________________________________________________ | | | | Gadhra | | | | Muirgheas mac Eaghra Maghnus mac Eaghra Muirchertach mac Eaghra, d. 928. | | | Domhnall mac Gadhra | | king of Luighne Connacht, d. 931 Murchadh ua hEaghra Domhnall Mor ua hEaghra | | | | | | Clann Ó Gadhra Domhnall Ua hEaghra, d.1023 Muircheartach Ua hEaghra | | | | Murchadh Taithleach Urmhumha | | | | Taichleach Aodh, d. 1155. | | |_______________ | | | Conchabhar God, d. 1231. | | | Aodh Murchadh | Aodh, d. 1234. | | Diarmuid Riabhach, d. 1250. | | Art na gCapall Ó hEaghra, d. 1316. | |_______________________________________________ | | | | Domhnall Cléireach Ó hEaghra, d. 1318. Seaán Mór | | | | Fearghal Mór Ó hEaghra, d. 1390. Seaán Óg | (Ó hEaghra Riabhach) | Tadhg Ó hEaghra, d. 1420 | |____________________________________________ | | | | Seaán Buidhe Ó hEaghra. Maoileachluinn | (Ó hEaghra an Rúta) |_________________________________________________ | | | | | | Ruaidhrí Ó hEaghra. Muircheartach. Tomoltach | | | | Maghnus Ó hEaghra Cormac Uilliam | | | | Oilill Ó hEaghra Seaán =Onóra | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|_________________________ | | | | | | | | Ruaidhri Cian Ó hEaghra. Domhnall. Onóra. | =Úna ? | | Conn, d. 1581. |____________________________________________________________________________ | | | | | | Cormac, d. 1612. Brian, d. 1586. Tadhg, d. 1560. =Máire Ní Suibhne =Caitilín Ní Raghallaigh =Úna Ní Gallchobhair | | | | Tadhg, d. 1616. Cormac Óg, d. 1642. =Síle Ní Ruairc. =Cáit Ní Raghallaigh | | _____|___________ |______________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | Cian, d. 1675. Tadhg Oilill, d. 1685. Brian Cormac Óg =? =Jane Ní Flaithbertaigh =Máire Ní Flaithbertaigh | | | | Cian Ruaidhri =? | | Cormac O'Hara, d. 1776 =? | | Cormac | |___________________________ | | | | Maj. Charles King O'Hara Jane O'Hara, d. 1874. =Arthur Cooper | | Charles W. O'Hara
Donal F. O'Hara, fl. c. 1951.
Uathmarán mac Dobhailéin
| King of Luighne Connacht
Muirchertach mac Eaghra
Maol Da Bhonna mac Dobhailen
- O'Hara Genealogy, pp.xi-xiv, in The Book of O'Hara, ed. Lambert McKenna, s.j., Dublin, 1951.
- The History of the County of Mayo to the Close of the Sixteenth Century. With illustrations and three maps, Hubert T. Knox. Originally published 1908, Hogges Figgies and Co. Dublin. Reprinted by De Burca rare books, 1982. ISBN 0-946130-01-9.
- Leabhar na nGenealach. The Great Book of Irish Genealogies, eag./ed. Nollaig Ó Muraíle, De Burca, Dublin, 2004-05.