|Alma mater||University of Rhode Island|
|University team||Rhode Island Rams|
He became world champion of the Star class at the 1987 Star World Championships in Chicago, and won the bronze medal at the 1986 Worlds. He also won the Star European Championships in 1988 and the Bacardi Cup in 1988 and 1991.
After leaving the Star, he was appointed coach of the US Olympic Sailing team of 2000 and 2004, while also participating at the 2000 Louis Vuitton Cup as navigator onboard of Young America with Ed Baird. Two years later, in 2002, he won the Laser Master Worlds.
He joined the Delta Lloyd's coaching team for the Boston in-port race of the 2008–09 Volvo Ocean Race. Previously, he sailed the final two legs of Illbruck Challenge's victorious campaign in the 2001-02 event.
- "Edward K. Adams ('78)". University of Rhode Island Department of Athletics.
- "Team History". University of Rhode Island.
- "Henry A. Morss Memorial Trophy". Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association.
- "1977 All-American Sailing Team". Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association.
- "Star Class World Championship Results 1978-1989". ISCYRA.
- "Ed Adams joins Delta Lloyd's coaching team". Sail-World New Zealand.
- "LASER MASTERS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS ARCHIVES". ILCA. Archived from the original on 2011-12-30. Retrieved 2017-01-02.