Hanappi-Egger was educated at Vienna University of Technology, where she received a PhD in computer science. While working towards her PhD, she studied in Canada and Sweden. After graduating, she joined Vienna University of Technology.
From 2002 to 2004, Hanappi-Egger was a guest lecturer at Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU). She became a professor in 2014, when she took over the Institute for Gender and Diversity in Organizations. From 2006 to 2009, she served as the Chair of the Senate at WU, and was also a member of the board at Graz University of Technology from 2008 to 2013. In addition, she also chaired the Institute of Management at WU from 2012 to 2014.
Hanappi-Egger was a guest lecturer at internationally renowned research institutions, such as the London School of Economics and Business, as well as McGill University. She published more than 350 articles on Gender and Diversity, as well as Diversity Management and Organizational Management.
- "Erste Rektorin: Frischer Wind für WU Wien" [Hanappi-Egger first female Principal at WU]. ORF (in German). 1 October 2015. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "WU: Badelt geht, Hanappi-Egger übernimmt" [Hanappi-Egger new Principal at WU]. Die Presse (in German). 20 October 2015. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Hanappi-Egger: "Uni-Angehörige erleben viele Frustrationen"" [Hanappi-Egger Career]. Der Standard (in German). 30 January 2015. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "About Edeltraud Hanappi-Egger". WU. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Hanappi-Egger: Erste Rektorin für die Wirtschaftsuni" [Edeltraud Hanappi-Egger elected first female Principal of WU]. Die Presse (in German). 26 January 2015. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Edeltraud Hanappi-Egger als Rektorin der WU wiedergewählt" (in German). 29 June 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- ""Frauen sind keine homogene Gruppe"" [InterviewHanappiEgger]. Wiener Zeitung (in German). 2 October 2016. Retrieved 19 September 2017.