This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Eduard Peter Frauneder (born 1977) is an Austrian chef and restaurateur known for his promotion of Austrian cuisine in New York City. He owned restaurant in several neighborhoods (FiDi, Noho, East Village, Midtown) in New York City. He earned his first Michelin Star in 2010; at the time, he was "one of the world's youngest Michelin Starred chefs".
Eduard Frauneder was born in Vienna, Austria 1977 to Maria and Eduard Frauneder. He grew up in the bakery/pastry shop of his parents where, as a teenager, he worked with his father. The elder Frauneder was the second generation owner of Backerei Frauneder which had multiple locations in Vienna. Frauneder initially trained as a baker and pastry chef in the family business prior to attending culinary school in Vienna, at Gastgewerbefachschule Wien am Judenplatz where he received his training.
At the age of 19 Frauneder moved to London where he worked as the personal chef to the Austrian Ambassador.
He opened several restaurants in New York City: Seasonal, Edi and The Wolf, Bar Freud, Schilling and bar The Third Man.
- Seäsonal - New York - Austrian traditional cuisine with business partner and chef Wolfgang Ban. Earned a Michelin Star in 2010. Seäsonal was named one of New York Magazines “Best New Restaurants” of 2010.
- Edi and the Wolf - East Village, New York , a rustic "Austrian tavern"
- The Third Man - New York - The bar's name was inspired by the 1949 film noir set in Vienna.
- Freud - Noho - Contemporary Austrian cuisine. Later renamed Bar Freud.
- Schilling - FiDi - Mediterranean take on Austrian cuisine.
- Vienna Calling fine catering - New York - Austrian-inspired Catering
Awards and honors
- 2018 -Goldene Cloche, Austrian trade commission for his promotion of Austria cuisine abroad.
- 2010 - Michelin Star for the restaurant Seasonal
- 2012- Winner, Iron Chef America
- 2014- Winner, Knife Fight, third season
|Iron Chef America/Food Network||10/07/12||Himself, chef|||
|Fox Business||10/02/12||Himself, guest|||
|Lebe Deinen Traum||03/13/13||Himself, guest||
|CBS The Dish||02/13/13||Himself, guest||
|Knife Fight Season 2/Esquire Network||10/07/14||Himself, chef|||
|Chopped/ Food Network||10/15/15||Guest Judge|||
|Knife Fight Season 3/Esquire Network||02/06/15||Himself, chef|||
|Knife Fight Season 4/Esquire Network||12/29/15||Guest Judge|||
|USA Today||12/06/16||Himself, guest||
|AZ Central||12/14/16||Himself, guest|||
|The Food Seen||09/25/18||Himself, guest|||
- Ko, Claudine (2012-11-20). "NYCs Austro-hungry empire". New York Post. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- Böck, Mario (2018-02-20). "Gold für Gastro-Pionier Frauneder" (in German). Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- February 16, CBS News; 2013; Am, 11:53. "THE Dish: Chef Eduard Frauneder's Wiener Schnitzel". www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2020-06-06.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Eduard Frauneder". Taste of Austria. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "List of Michelin starred restaurants in New York City", Wikipedia, 2020-05-07, retrieved 2020-10-13
- Asimov, Eric (2011-12-13). "Austrian Tradition, With Ambition (Published 2011)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- "Best New Restaurants - Where to Eat 2010 -- New York Magazine - Nymag". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- Peed, Mike. "Edi & the Wolf". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- Stein, Joshua David (2013-03-27). "The Third Man". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- Fabricant, Florence (2018-02-27). "Bar Freud, Serving Inventive Cocktails, Opens in Greenwich Village". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- staff/emily-siegel (2016-05-25). "Schnitzel Meets The Mediterranean With The Debut Of Schilling In FiDi". Gothamist. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- dieter.chmelar. "Star-Gastronom Frauneder heiratet im Stephansdom". kurier.at (in German). Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- Murphy, Jen (2014-07-28). "The Kitesurfing Workout of Chef Eduard Frauneder". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "How top chefs train". Furthermore from Equinox. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "Zakarian vs. Frauneder | Iron Chef America". Food Network. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "Knife Fight" Alligator (TV Episode 2015) - IMDb, retrieved 2020-10-13
- "Reports of Theft in New York After Sandy". Fox Business. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- KG, imfernsehen GmbH & Co, Lebe Deinen Traum Staffel 1: Folge 1 (in German), retrieved 2020-06-06
- THE Dish with Chef Eduard Frauneder, retrieved 2020-06-06
- "Knife Fight" Crickets (TV Episode 2014) - IMDb, retrieved 2020-10-13
- Chopped - Season 25 Episode 10, retrieved 2020-06-06
- Desk, TV News. "Esquire Network Premieres Season 4 of KNIFE FIGHT Tonight". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "Chef Eduard Frauneder shares an Austrian recipe". www.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "Four essential ingredients for cooking Austrian". azcentral. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "Episode 365: How To Schnitzel with Edi Frauneder - THE FOOD SEEN (podcast)". Listen Notes. Retrieved 2020-06-06.