Johan Edvard Sverdrup (22 June 1861 – 21 January 1923) was a Norwegian educator, author and church leader. Sverdrup was one of the key theologians in the Church of Norway in the first few decades of the 1900s.
Sverdrup was born in Balestrand in Sogn og Fjordane as the son of vicar and politician Harald Ulrik Sverdrup. His uncle Johan Sverdrup founded the Liberal Party and became Prime Minister of Norway in 1884, and his brother Jakob Sverdrup became a government minister. He was the father of oceanographer and meteorologist Harald Ulrik Sverdrup, Jr..
Edvard Sverdrup attended Bergen Cathedral School and took his final exams in 1880. He graduated as cand.theol. in 1885. From 1885 to 1893 he worked as a teacher at the folk high school in Sogndal which had been established by his brother, Jakob Sverdrup. In 1803, he was appointed vicar (sogneprest) in Sulen (now Solund)] in the county of Sogn og Fjordane.
In 1908, he was among the first teachers at the newly established MF Norwegian School of Theology in Oslo. He was professor there from 1918. He published several books, many on church history. From 1910 to 1918, he was co-editor with theologian, Christian Ihlen (1868–1958) of the periodical Lutheran Church Gazette (Luthersk Kirketidende) which had been founded in 1863 by Norwegian theologian, Gisle Johnson. He was chairman of the board of The Norwegian Lutheran Inner Missionary (Det norske lutherske Indremisjonsselskap) from 1911 to 1923.
- Det menneskelige legeme med en kort oversigt over dyrene og planterne. En lærebog for høiere skoler, seminarier, amts- og folkehøiskoler, (1890)
- De sidste ting. Fire foredrag, (1912)
- Den evangelisk lutherske tro. Dens historiske gjennembrud og dens grundsandheter efter den augsburgske bekjendelse, (1915)
- Hvorledes Luther blev reformator, (1917)
- Luther som bibeloversætter, (1917)
- Fra Norges kristenliv. Den norske lutherstiftelse og Det norske lutherske indremissionsselskap 1868–1918, (1918)
- Luthers kamp med Rom. Efter dens historiske forløp til og med Riksdagen i Worms, (1922)
- Fader vor. Tanker ved Herrens bøn, (1922)
- Hauge och Haugeanism, (ed. by T. A. J. Carlson, 1925)
- Edvard Sverdrup (Store norske leksikon)
- Edvard Sverdrup at the Sogn og Fjordane County Encyclopedia (Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) (Norwegian)
- Harald Ulrik Sverdrup at the Sogn og Fjordane County Encyclopedia (Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) (Norwegian)
- List of publications in BIBSYS
- Luthersk Kirketidende (Store norske leksikon)
- Christian Ihlen (Store norske leksikon)
- Det norske lutherske Indremisjonsselskap (Store norske leksikon)