This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Edward Storey (1930-2018), was an English poet, dramatist and non-fiction writer. He was born at Whittlesey on 28 February 1930, which was part of the Isle of Ely in Cambridgeshire, and the Fens inspired much of his work.
Before becoming a full-time writer in the late 1960s, he completed National Service and worked in adult education for the Peterborough City Education Authority, he also worked with the Workers' Educational Association (WEA). His first volume of poetry (North Bank Night) was published in 1969 in the Phoenix Living Poets series.
In one of his early works Portrait of the Fen Country (1971) he reflected upon his childhood understanding of the world as it was shaped by his fenland experience. In Fen Boy First (1992) published by Robert Hale Ltd he gave an account of his childhood growing up in Whittlesey, and in Fen Country Christmas (1995) he collected a number of stories, legends and fenland superstitions. He was one of the founder members of the The John Clare Society and the literature panel of the Eastern Arts Association.
He moved to Wales in 1999. For many years he was President of The Friends of St Michael's, the church next to his home in Discoed; the Friends association fundraises for the restoration of the building and for other causes through arts events. New poetry collections, inspired by the local border country and other sources, were written for the Friends of St Michael's under a self-publishing imprint. Seeing the Light published Leverett Press in 2015 is just one of these works.
Edward Storey died at his home in Discoed early on the morning of Sunday 18 November, 2018. The funeral service took place at St.Michaels church, Discoed on Wednesday 5th December.
Edward Storey's poems and libretti have been set to music by Trevor Hold, Adrian Williams, David Twigg, Cecilia MacDowell, Trevor Jones and others,leading to performances and/or recordings. Recent CD recordings of musical settings of Edward's poems are 'Pure Music' featuring Voller String Quartet and mezzo-soprano Zarah Hible, and 'Spirit Songs' featuring soprano Louise Wayman accompanied by pianist Sarah Gard. The music on these recording is by Trevor Jones.
'A deeply meditative poet who sees in nature a mirror for the human condition and sensibility.. these are beautifully crafted poems that exist because they have to..' THE POETRY QUARTERLY REVIEW
'..You won't find a poet who can quite do what Storey does...' ENVOI
'effortless in its voice, language and poetic form, and in its relationship with the reader... never slight nor dependent on conventional sentiment, but marked by grace or gravitas..' AMBIT
- Keeping an Eye on Things ed Edward Storey: illust John Gillette (1982), The Children's Society.
- Call it a Summer Country (1978) Robert Hale Ltd
- Portrait of the Fen Country (1971) Robert Hale Ltd
- The Winter Fens (1993) Robert Hale Ltd
- Four Seasons in Three Countries(1974) Robert Hale Ltd
- North Bank Night (1969, 2nd Imp 1970) Chatto & Windus (Poetry)
- A Man in Winter (1972) Chatto & Windus (Poetry)
- The Dark Music  Annakin Fine Arts Ltd (Poetry)
- A Slant of Light (1983) [Poetry] Free Man's Press
- Fen Boy First (1992) Robert Hale Ltd
- Summer Journeys through the Fens (1992) Robert Hale Ltd
- Fen Country Christmas (1995). Robert Hale Ltd
- Fen, Fire and Flood: Scenes from Fenland History (1986) Cambridgeshire Libraries Publications
- Letters from the Fens (1998) (1999)ISIS Large Print Books
- Last Train to Ely [Poetry] Rockingham Press (1995)
- In Fen Country Heaven (1996) (1997) Robert Hale Ltd
- A Right to Song: The Life of John Clare(1982) Methuen Publishing Ltd.
- The Solitary Landscape (1975) Victor Gollancz Ltd
- Spirit of the Fens (1985) Robert Hale Ltd
- A Change in the Climate [Poetry](1998)
- 'Lighting a Beacon (2003) Kites Drift, Discoed (limited edition of 150 copies)
- New and Selected Poems [Poetry] Rockingham Press (2004)
- Missing the Point [Poetry] (2004)
- Border Music [Poetry] (2006)
- A Discoed Book of Hours [Poetry] The Leveret Press (2013)
- Almost a Chimechild (2010) Raven Books
- Seeing the Light [Poetry] (2015) The Leveret Press
- Self, Cameron (2007). "The Fens". Literary Norfolk. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- Storey, E. (1969 & 1970) North Bank Night Chatto & Windus; one of very few in the series to have a second impression printed.
|This article about an English writer, poet or playwright is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|