Edwin Bakker is director of the Centre for Terrorism and Counterterrorism (CTC) of Leiden University Campus The Hague and professor of (Counter-)Terrorism Studies at the Institute of Public Administration of that same university. He also holds the position of research fellow at the International Centre for Counter Terrorism – The Hague. In addition, he is a member of the editorial board of the following (academic) journals: Security and Human Rights, the Journal of Strategic Security, Vrede & Veiligheid (Peace & Security) and Internationale Spectator. Bakker is also a guest lecturer at the NATO Defense College in Rome and member of the Netherlands Helsinki Committee.
From 2007 to 2011, Bakker was a fellow at the Netherlands Institute of International Relations ‘Clingendael’. He was head of the Security and Conflict Programme. In 1997, Bakker obtained a PhD degree with his thesis on minority conflicts in Slovakia and Hungary. He graduated from Groningen University where he studied Economic Geography.
Key publications include:
- Edwin Bakker (1997). Minority Conflicts in Slovakia and Hungary?. Labyrinth Publ. ISBN 978-90-72591-42-5. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- Edwin Bakker (2006). Jihadi Terrorists in Europe: Their Characteristics and the Circumstances in which They Joined the Jihad ; an Exploratory Study. Clingendael Inst. ISBN 978-90-5031-113-7. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- Edwin Bakker; Leen Boer (2007). The evolution of Al-Qaedaism: its ideology, its terrorists, and its appeal. Netherlands Institute of International Relations, Clingendael. ISBN 978-90-5031-122-9. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- Rethinking European Security, Principles & Practice. Special issue of Security and Human Rights, Leiden, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, vol. 21, 2010, no. 1, [with Arie Bloed, Sabine Machl and Wolfgang Zellner]
- Preventing Lone Wolf Terrorism: some CR Approaches Addressed, Perspectives of Terrorism, Vol. V, 2011, no. 5-6 [with Beatrice de Graaf].
- The Muslim Brotherhood in Europe. The challenge of transnationalization, London: Hurst Publishers, 2012, [with Roel Meijer]
- Terrorism and Counterterrorism Studies: Comparing Theory and Practice. Leiden: Leiden UP, 2015
- "Edwin Bakker". Clingendael.
- See E. Bakker, Minority conflicts in Slovakia and Hungary?, Capelle a/d IJssel, 1997
- Oldrich Bures (1 March 2013). Eu Counterterrorism Policy: A Paper Tiger?. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd. pp. 11–. ISBN 978-1-4094-8923-8. Retrieved 14 July 2013.