Ejner Bainkamp Johansson was born in 1922 in Copenhagen. He was the son of a Swedish immigrant (who became a naturalised Danish citizen in 1927), Axel Robert Johansson, (b. 14. June 1897 Furuby, Småland, d. 25 January 1968 in Copenhagen), and a Danish mother, Margrethe Hansine Hansen (b. 22 April 1880 Skibby, d. 26 January 1952 Copenhagen).
Johansson got his magister of art in 1956 on art history. In 1967 he was employed as a television producer in Denmark's Radio with the arts as his specialty. Here he hosted a number of late night programs on art and culture.
Johansson had a son named Karsten Johansson (b. 1943) and through him was the grandfather of actors of Scarlett, Vanessa, Hunter and Adrian Johansson. According to Scarlett, she knows almost nothing about her grandfather. Even though she visited Denmark, she actually never met him due to his estrangement from her father.
Johansson wrote a large number of cultural and art historical books. Some of them are:
- Dansk marinemaleri i det nittende aarhundrede (1951)
- Richard Mortensen (1962) (translated into English and French)
- Omkring Frederiksholms Kanal (1964)
- Andersens ansigter (1992)
- De danske malere i München (1997)
- "Ejner Johansson". gravsted.dk. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "Episode 5 | Season 4 Episode Guide | Finding Your Roots". Episode 5 | Season 4 Episode Guide | Finding Your Roots. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "Yildelinger". Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts. Retrieved 16 March 2018.