Electoral district of Geelong (Victorian Legislative Council)
The Electoral district of Geelong was one of the original sixteen electoral districts of the old unicameral Victorian Legislative Council of 1851 to 1856. Victoria being a colony in Australia at the time.
The Electoral district of Geelong's area was defined as: "Bounded by a line drawn from a point on the eastern shores of Corio Bay near Point Henry at a distance of 2 miles from the north-east corner of the Township of Geelong as a centre bearing southerly to a point bearing east from the said corner thence by a line south crossing a small portion of Corio Bay parallel with and at a distance of 2 miles from the eastern boundary of the said township to a point bearing east from the south-east corner of the said Township of Geelong thence by a line drawn westerly at a distance of 2 miles from the southern boundary of the said township crossing the Barwon River and Waurn Chain of Ponds to a point 2 miles west of the south-west corner of the said township thence by a line bearing north parallel with and at a distance of 2 miles from the western boundary of the said Township of Geelong to a point bearing west from the north-west corner of the said township thence by a line drawn at a distance of 2 miles from the north-west corner of the said township as a centre to the western shore of Corio Bay near Cowie's Creek and also to include the remaining portion of the reserve at Point Henry and the reserve at the junction of the Moorabool with the Barwon River."
Members for Geelong
Two members initially, three from the expansion of the Council in 1853.
|Member 1||Term||Member 2||Term|
|James Strachan||Nov 1851 – Mar 1856||Robert Robinson||Nov 1851 – May 1852||Member 3||Term|
|Alexander Thomson||Jun 1852[b] – Aug 1854||James Cowie||Aug 1853 – May 1854[r]|
|James Harrison||Nov 1854 – Mar 1856||Alexander Fyfe||Jun 1854[b] – Mar 1856|
r = resigned
b = by-election
Fyfe (Nov. 1856 to Nov. 1857), Thomson (Dec. 1857 to Apr. 1859) and Harrison (Apr. 1858 to Aug. 1859) went on to represent the Electoral district of Geelong in the Victorian Legislative Assembly.
Cowie went on to represent South-Western Province (Nov. 1856 to Sep. 1858) in the Victorian Legislative Council.
- Parliaments of the Australian states and territories
- List of members of the Victorian Legislative Council
- "Victorian Electoral Act" (PDF). New South Wales Government. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Sweetman, Edward (1920). Constitutional Development of Victoria, 1851-6. Whitcombe & Tombs Limited. p. 182. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Sweetman, p.108
- "The Legislative Council". The Argus. Melbourne, Vic. 8 November 1854. p. 4. Harrison replaced Thomson
- "The Election. Declaration of the Poll". Geelong Advertiser and Intelligencer. 26 June 1854. p. 4.
- "Re-Member (Former Members)". State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 17 May 2013.