Dami with a few Geronimo Stilton books
|Born||Elisabetta Maria Dami
|Pen name||Geronimo Stilton|
|Notable works||Geronimo Stilton|
Elisabetta Dami (born 1958) is an Italian children’s books author who is most famous as the creator of the character Geronimo Stilton.
She is the daughter of publisher Piero Dami (who founded Dami Editore in 1972). At the age of thirteen she started out in the publishing world as a proofreader for the family business and at nineteen she wrote her first short stories. As an adventure lover, she got her aircraft pilot and parachutist licences aged 20, and at 24 she travelled around the world on her own and completed a famous survival course at the Outward Bound School in Maine, in the United States. Some of Elisabetta’s other adventures include taking part in a rally in the Sahara desert and crossing Africa from north to south in an off-road vehicle; she raced the 100-km Sahara ultramarathon and ran two New York marathons (in 2002 and 2003). She was also adopted by two Native American tribes, including the Cherokee Wolf Clan.
The creation of Geronimo Stilton
Her experience as a volunteer with sick children gave her the idea of writing adventure stories with a mouse called Geronimo Stilton as the protagonist. These stories went on to become a publishing sensation in Italy and internationally.
For a while I worked as a volunteer in a hospital, and it was there, almost by chance, that I invented Geronimo Stilton … It was at the time when Patch Adams taught the world that children need to laugh to get better. So I started to make up funny stories in which the protagonist was a clumsy mouse called Geronimo Stilton. He would get involved in all sorts of entertaining adventures, full of funny events and twists in the plot, that children found really compelling.
In 2016 she founded Elisabetta Dami Onlus, an Italian non-profit association, to help children and protect the environment. Elisabetta also supports other non-profit organisations and associations with donations and creative projects to raise awareness about their activities and the issues they are involved in.
- "The biography of Elisabetta Dami". elisabettadamionlus.org.
- "ELISABETTA DAMI - la Repubblica.it". repubblica.it.
- "The biography of Elisabetta Dami". www.elisabettadamionlus.org.
- "Geronimo Stilton addestra draghi. E le prossime storie le scrivete voi". Corriere.it.
- ""Il mio topo non teme le emozioni Il suo segreto è la resilienza"". iltempodelledonne.corriere.it.
- "Who we are and what do we do". elisabettadamionlus.org.
- "Elisabetta Dami. Fòrum IMPULSA 2012" audio-video (4 July 2012) at youtube; vimeo
- Elisabetta Dami  (11 December 2010) at la Repubblica
- Elisabetta Dami at Library of Congress Authorities, with 7 catalogue records
- Geronimo Stilton at Library of Congress Authorities, with 35 catalogue records
- Thea Stilton at Library of Congress Authorities, with 5 catalogue records