This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Twesten previously worked in the Hamburg Customs Administration. She was elected to the Lower Saxon Landtag in 2008. Since 2013, she has been Secretary of the Landtag. She is also spokesperson for women in the parliament.
Twesten defected to the CDU from the Greens in August 2017, thus depriving the Lower Saxony Parliament's SDP/Green coalition of its one-seat majority and triggering an early election in October 2017.
Twesten is married and has three daughters.
- "Elke Twesten hofft auf ein gutes Ergebnis der Grünen". Kreiszeitung (in German). 4 July 2012.
- "Im Dialog: MdL Elke Twesten ruft Frauen zum Engagement in der Kommunalpolitik auf "Frauen gehen in die Politik, um etwas zu bewegen"". Kreiszeitung (in German). 6 March 2015.
- Brechenmacher, Victor (4 August 2017). "German regional government brought down by lawmaker's defection". Politico. POLITICO SPRL. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- Official website at the Wayback Machine (archived 4 August 2017)
- Alliance '90/The Greens - Elke Twesten (archived 28 July 2017) archive.is
- Parliamentary profile
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elke Twesten.|