Ellen Potter is an American author of both children's and adult's books (as Ellen Toby-Potter). She grew up in Upper West Side, New York and studied creative writing at Binghamton University and now lives in Candor in upstate New York. She has been a contributor to Cimarron Review, Epoch, The Hudson Review, and Seventeen. Her novel Olivia Kidney was winner of the Child Magazine Best Book award and was a Best Book of the Year selection for 8-12 year-olds by Parenting magazine.
- The Kneebone Boy (2010) (Square Fish) ISBN 0-312-67432-5 - "...the story is fresh, funny and surprising. A quirky charmer."
- The Humming Room (2012) (Feiwel & Friends) ISBN 0-312-64438-8 - "The characters and events are nearly exact counterparts to those found in the classic The Secret Garden. An homage to a cherished classic that can work as a companion piece or stand alone as a solid, modern tale for young readers in the 21st century."
- Otis Dooda (2013) illustrated by David Heatley, Feiwel & Friends, ISBN 9781250011763
- Otis Dooda: Downright Dangerous (2014), illustrated by David Heatley, Feiwel & Friends, ISBN 9781250011770
- Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (2015), illustrated by Qin Leng, Alfred Knopf, ISBN 9780553499230 - "With its intriguing setting, sympathetic characters, and hint of magic, this new chapter-book series should charm fledgling readers."
Illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds and published by Philomel Books:
- Olivia Kidney,(2003) ISBN 0-399-23850-6
- Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy, (2005) ISBN 0-399-24162-0
- renamed as Olivia Kidney Stops for No One
- Pish Posh (2006) ISBN 0-399-23995-2
- Olivia Kidney and the Secret Beneath the City (2007) ISBN 0-399-24701-7
- SLOB (2009)
With co-author Anne Mazer, and illustrated by Matt Phelan:
- Spilling Ink: A Young Writer's Handbook (2010) (Flashpoint) ISBN 1-59643-628-X
For adults (as Ellen Toby-Potter)
- The Average Human (2003) ISBN 1-931561-33-8 - "A fairly intricate tale that manages not to trip itself up, crisply narrated with a minimum of digression and a remarkable understatement that draws you into the action."
- Amazon.ca: Olivia Kidney And The Secret Beneath The City: Books: Ellen Potter
- "The Kneebone Boy". www.kirkusreviews.com. Kirkus Media LLC. 17 August 2010. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "The Humming Room". www.kirkusreviews.com. Kirkus Media LLC. 3 December 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "Piper Green and the Fairy Tree". www.kirkusreviews.com. Kirkus Media LLC. 6 June 2015. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "The Average Human". www.kirkusreviews.com. Kirkus Media LLC. 15 April 2003. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Official website
- Review of The Average Human
- Ellen Potter at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Ellen Potter at Library of Congress Authorities, with 13 catalog records
- Ellen Toby-Potter at LC Authorities
|This article about a children's author from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|