Elsa D'Silva or Elsa Marie D'Silva is a former aviation professional and social entrepreneur whose interest in bringing about social change to improve the lives of women, youth and senior citizens through awareness, interaction and educationled her to found Safecity.in.
Elsa D'Silva served as the Vice President, Network Planning at Kingfisher Airlines where she headed the Network Planning & Charters department. She is an alumna of the Swedish Institute, where she did a management program on Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability in Business. After her company went bankrupt, Elsa decided to take on a career shift, and founded the Red Dot Foundation, whose social project is Safecity.in.
Red Dot Foundation
Two years after Safecity was launched, the Red Dot Foundation came into existence as an organization whose main interest was to work for gender equality, eradication of violence against women and girls and women empowerment.
The Red Dot Foundation is currently present in Mumbai and Delhi where Elsa D’Silva and her team have partnered with other non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to help formulate steps to tackle sexual harassment. Beyond these two cities, Red Dot also provides its services in Nepal and Kenya, in partnership with Vital Voices Global Partnership, a US-based NGO.
Awards and recognition
She is Rotary Peace Fellow, an Aspen New Voices Fellow, a Vital Voices Lead Fellow, a Mentee at the Cherie Blair Foundation for Women in Business and an alumnus of the Swedish Institute. She also won the Female Entrepreneur Award by the European Angel Investor, 2013, Dusan Stojanovic, in July 2015, and the Digital Women Award in the Social Impact Category by She The People in 2015.
- "An entrepreneur , founder of SAFECITY- Elsa D'Silva - Leader of the Month | World Pulse". World Pulse. 21 August 2016. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- ThemeXpose. "Making cities safer". www.redelephantfoundation.org. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "Elsa Marie D'Silva | The Huffington Post". www.huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "Google Case Study" (PDF).
- "Fellows of the Week: VVLead Fellowship Weekly Roundup". TinyLetter. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "New Voices Fellowship". Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- D'Silva, Esther Ngumbi and Elsa. "Women, it's time to get rid of 'manels' (Opinion)". CNN. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- Dasra (2015). "Safecity" (PDF). Dasra. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "Safecity by ElsaMarie D'Silva maps sexual violence". SheThePeople TV. Retrieved 26 November 2016.