List of RPI fraternities and sororities
The following is a list of fraternities and sororities at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. As of 2009, there were 29 active fraternities, 5 sororities, and 1 co-ed service fraternity. The governing body of all fraternities is the Inter-Fraternity Council.
- Acacia Founded: 4-10, 1949
- Alpha Chi Rho (Crows) (Delta Phi Chapter) Founded: October 23, 1948
- Alpha Epsilon Pi Rho Pi Chapter Founded 1951
- Alpha Phi Alpha
- Alpha Phi Omega RPI's Service Fraternity, Epsilon Zeta chapter. (Co-ed, Not in IFC) Founded: May 11, 1947
- Alpha Sigma Phi Beta Psi Chapter
- Chi Phi Theta Chapter Founded: 1878
- The Chi Phi Theta Chapter, founded in 1878, is one of the oldest fraternities on campus and owns two houses next door to each other at 1981 and 1985 15th St across from the Quad and Student Union.
- Delta Phi Lambda chapter
- Lambda Chapter of Delta Phi has a unique history since its founding in 1864 on campus that includes 3 Rensselaer presidents (including George Low who is known for putting the first man on the moon) and about 16 structures that are named for Delta Phi alumni. RPI buildings named for Delta Phi alumni include the George M. Low Building, Livingston Houston Fieldhouse, Cornelius Barton Hall. Nason Hall, Mason Lab (no longer in existence), Hearne Dormitory , Church I - VI and Caldwell Lab.
- Delta Tau Delta (Delts) Founded 1879
- Upsilon Chapter of Delta Tau Delta is located on 133 Sunset Terrace, neighboring Acacia and Phi Kappa Theta. Delts' house is one of the largest on campus.
- Lambda Chi Alpha Epsilon Eta Chapter
- Lambda Upsilon Lambda
- Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) Tau Nu chapter Founded: 1984.
- Phi Iota Alpha (Phiotas) Founded: December 26, 1931
- Phi Kappa Tau Rho Chapter
- Phi Kappa Theta (Ski Lodge) Sigma Chapter Founded: 1925
- Phi Mu Delta (Phi Mud) Nu Theta Chapter Founded: 1918
- Phi Sigma Kappa (Phi Sig or Church) Gamma Tetarton Chapter
- Pi Delta Psi Theta Chapter. Founded in 1997. Pi Delta Psi is currently the only Asian interest Greek organization on campus.
- Pi Kappa Alpha (PIKES)
- Pi Kappa Phi (Castle) Alpha Tau Chapter Founded: 1931
- Pi Lambda Phi (Pilam) Founded: 1954
- Psi Upsilon (Epsilon Iota) ( Psi Upsilon (ΨΥ) chapter)
- Epsilon Iota was originally a chapter of TEP (Tau Epsilon Phi) founded in 1954. The chapter left TEP in 1978 to become a co-ed local fraternity. Epsilon Iota officially became the 37th chapter of the Psi Upsilon international fraternity in 1982, and it remains co-ed with approximately equal numbers of male and female brothers. The chapter currently maintains a house at 2140 Burdett Avenue in Troy. The Epsilon Iota Chapter holds the record for longest number of days (178) in "hockey line" at RPI, breaking the previous record of 33 days.
- Rennselaer Society of Engineers (RSE) Founded : 1866
- The Rennselaer Society of Engineers was founded as the Pi Eta scientific society in 1866. In 1883, the Pi Eta scientific society became the Rennsselaer Society Of Engineers.
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE)
- Location: 12 Myrtle Ave, Troy, NY 12180
- The Delta Psi Chapter of The Sigma Chi Fraternity was chartered December 2 of 1950. Before that Sigma Chi existed on the RPI campus as a local fraternity known as Phi Epsilon Phi. Sigma Chi is currently located at 58 Pinewoods Avenue, Troy, NY 12180.
- Sigma Phi Epsilon (SigEp) New York Delta Chapter (1938)
- Location: 2005 15th Street
- Located at 2100 Burdett Ave.
- Theta Xi (Zoo) Alpha Chapter. Founded: April 29, 1864
- Zeta Psi (Zetes) Pi Chapter. Founded: January 13, 1865.
- The Pi Chapter went inactive in 1894 and was later reactivated in 1951. The chapter remained active until the Alumni/Elders shut down the chapter house in 1978 (for disciplinary reasons) and reactivated the chapter in 1979 with all new members. The Pi Chapter has remained in continuous operation since the second reactivation. Located at 25 Belle Avenue
The governing body of all sororities is the Panhellenic Council.
- Alpha Gamma Delta Zeta Eta Chapter
- Alpha Gamma Delta was founded on May 30, 1904 at Syracuse University. The Zeta Eta chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta is one of over 110 chapters nationwide.
- Alpha Phi Theta Tau Chapter
- Alpha Phi was founded at Syracuse University in 1872 by ten women. The Theta Tau chapter of Alpha Phi is one of over 150 chapters in both the United States and Canada. Alpha Phi is one of 4 international sororities at RPI.
- Alpha Omega Epsilon Founded: April 23, 2006.
- AΩE is a social and professional sorority for women in engineering and technical sciences. AΩE is a member of the Professional Fraternity Association at the international level; however, the Tau chapter is also a member of the local Panhellenic Council.
- Pi Beta Phi was founded by 12 intelligent and accomplished women at Monmouth College in Monmouth, Illinois on April 28, 1867. Pi Phi is the first women's fraternity to be modeled on the men's groups and the first to start a chapter at another college. The New York Epsilon chapter of Pi Beta Phi was installed on November 17, 1984. The chapter began as Kappa Phi, a local sorority founded on April 27, 1982, as the third sorority on campus. Their chapter house is at 8 Sherry Road in Troy.
- Sigma Delta sorority is a local, professional sorority which was incorporated March 29, 1996 and founded on April 12, 1996. While based on Latin American values, over the years they have grown to a multicultural organization with members from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Theta Delta Chi Founded: 1853
- The Delta Charge of Theta Delta Chi was RPI's first fraternity. Theta Delta Chi served as the sole fraternity on campus until the founding of Sigma Delta in 1859. The Charge had a prominent existence at Rensselaer throughout much of 19th century until its charter was surrendered in 1896 because of low membership.
- Suspended 2006-2016
- RPI Union
- Interfraternity Council (IFC)
- Panhellenic Council
- Dean of Students: 2007-2008 5-star Accreditation Results contains an apparently complete list of Greek organizations on campus, including those on suspension, as of 2008-06-03.