Eric Barnes (writer)
Eric Barnes (born February 28, 1968) is an American writer and publisher. He is the author of the novels Shimmer, from Unbridled Books and Something Pretty, Something Beautiful, as well as the author of numerous short stories, including stories published in The Literary Review, Prairie Schooner, The Northwest Review, Raritan and other publishers of short literary fiction.
Barnes is also the publisher of The Daily News (Memphis), a newspaper covering business and politics, as well as the weekly edition of The Daily News, known as The Memphis News. Barnes received his BA from Connecticut College and his MFA from Columbia University. He was formerly a reporter and editor in Connecticut and New York City and, before that, worked in Kenai, Alaska. He grew up in Tacoma, Washington. He lives in Memphis.
Barnes is also host of the weekly news program on local Public Television, WKNO. The show, Behind the Headlines, covers local stories, including stories about politics, business and the public interest.
Novels - Synopsis & Reviews
Barnes has written the novel Something Pretty, Something Beautiful (Outpost19 June 2013, ISBN 978-1937402525). Benjamin Whitmer wrote of the book, "Elegantly constructed and lovingly, tenderly, savagely written... the most harrowing portrait of American boys careening into manhood that I've ever read. And the truest."[this quote needs a citation]
Barnes has written the novel Shimmer (Unbridled Books, July 2009, ISBN 1-932961-67-4). A book about CEO Robbie Case, whose high tech company is built on a lie, Shimmer follows Robbie as he attempts to unwind the lie he has created. The fictional company, Core Communications, is a provider of high end networking services to mainframe computers. Along with his partner and cousin, Robbie has created an elaborate system that supposedly allows mainframe computers to communicate at impossibly fast speeds. However, the system does not work. It is actually built on a technical and financial Ponzi scheme that will fail if the company ever stops expanding.
Reviews of Shimmer have said, "Case’s slow but accelerating downward spiral drives the narrative.... The corporate intrigue should hook anyone fascinated by the collapse of Wall Street and the crimes of Bernie Madoff."  Another reviewer said, "I haven’t been able to get the people in the book out of my head.... Beautifully written, quiet and intense, Shimmer was absolutely riveting." Another reviewer said of Shimmer, "The book moves at a breathtaking pace, but I was purposely slowing my reading to enjoy both the writing and the structure of the book. Shimmer is beautiful in the way that a collapsing building is; more beautiful, because throughout it you can cling to the hope that the building will somehow put itself back together."
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Barnes has published a number of short stories. They include:
- "Something Pretty, Something Beautiful," Best American Mystery Stories 2011
- "Something Pretty, Something Beautiful," Prairie Schooner
- "All I Can See," Other Voices
- "And We Would Drive," The Northwest Review
- "Applewhite," The Literary Review
- "The Arsons," The Louisville Review
- "Auntie Gail and Uncle Dan," Press
- "Captain Marvel," Pearl
- "Friday Afternoon," Arkansas Review/Kansas Quarterly
- "Dreams Where I Can Fly," Raritan
- "Prima della fine," l'Internazionale (an Italian transalation of "Dreams Where I Can Fly")
- "The Huts," The Greensboro Review
- "Lull, Pattern and Pure," 34th Parallel
- "Macramé Today," North Atlantic Review
- "Perfection," The Literary Review
- "Powdered Milk," Washington Square Review
- "Santa Claus Goes Hunting In the Off-Season," HobartPulp
- "Slower," The Portland Review
- "Someone Else Entirely," Quarterly West
- "Stories About Them," Crazyhorse
- "Swimming," The Portland Review
- "Toward the Sky," Pacific Review
Newspapers & Publishing
Barnes is the publisher of The Daily News (Memphis), which publishes news of business and politics in Memphis, Tennessee, as well as The Nashville Ledger. The Daily News also publishes a weekly edition, The Memphis News, operates an extensive public records database on its Web site, and operates Chandler Reports, a provider of real estate information.
- Unbridled Books
- Publisher's Weekly
- Rene' Kirkpatrick, Third Place Books, Lake Forest Park, Washington
- Anderson, Stephanie (March 24, 2009). "Worth buying in hardcover". Greenpoint, Brooklyn, NY: Word Bookstore.