May 12, 1972 |
Royal Oak, Michigan, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
Erin Dilly (born May 12, 1972) is an American actress. She is most noted for her portrayal of Truly Scrumptious in the 2005 musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, for which she was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical and the Outer Critics Circle Award.
Dilly was raised in Southfield, Michigan and graduated from Birmingham Groves High School and the University of Michigan. In 2000 she was announced to play the lead in Thoroughly Modern Millie but left the show, being replaced by Sutton Foster. In addition to appearing on Broadway in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in 2005, she played the role of Cinderella in the 2002 revival of Into the Woods.
Dilly has performed in regional theatre in Ken Ludwig's Leading Ladies at the Cleveland Play House and the Alley Theatre, Houston, Texas (2004). She also was "The Younger Woman" in Putting It Together at the Cape Playhouse, Massachusetts. She has performed in the national tour companies of South Pacific as Nellie (2001), Martin Guerre as Bertrande, and Beauty and the Beast as Belle (ca. 2000).
In 2014 she played the role of Eleanor Thompson a relative of Enoch "Nucky" Thompson who was played by actor Steve Buscemi & was based on Atlantic City, New Jersey political boss and racketeer Enoch L. Johnson in the HBO television series Boardwalk Empire.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (2005 original production), as Truly Scrumptious
- The Boys from Syracuse (2002 revival) as Luciana
- Into the Woods (2002 revival) as Cinderella, replacing Laura Benanti
- Follies (2001 revival) as Young Phyllis
- A Christmas Story (2012 original production) as Mother
Other stage work
- Something Good (June 28, 2002 tribute concert to Richard Rodgers), performed "Oh Diogenes"
- Babes in Arms City Center Encores! (1999), staged concert as Billie Smith (also recorded)
- City Center 60th Anniversary concert
- Ehren, Christine and Jones, Kenneth."No More Dilly Millie: Sutton Foster Takes La Jolla Role" playbill.com, September 25, 2000
- Jones, Kenneth."Barrett, Lauria, Dilly, Jacoby, Connell Star in World Premiere of Ludwig's Leading Ladies Sept. 7-Oct. 3 in Ohio" playbill.com, August 10, 2004
- Leading Ladies production information kenludwig.com, accessed September 30, 2009
- Hetrick, Adam."Tour of Duty: Lincoln Center Theater's South Pacific Will Likely Take to the Road" playbill.com, April 11, 2008
- Official site listing erindilly.com, accessed September 30, 2009
- Buntrock biography playbill.com, accessed September 30, 2009
- Internet Broadway Database listing ibdb.com
- Review from Suskin, originally in playbill.com lorenzhart.org, accessed September 2009
- Erin Dilly at the Internet Broadway Database
- Erin Dilly at the Internet Movie Database
- Official site
|Actress to portray Truly Scrumptious