Putting It Together
|Putting It Together|
1999 Broadway production poster
1998 Los Angeles
Putting it Together is a musical revue showcasing the songs of Stephen Sondheim. Drawing its title from a song in Sunday in the Park with George, it was devised by Sondheim and Julia McKenzie. The revue has received several productions, beginning with its premiere in England in 1992, Broadway in 1999 and the West End in 2014.
Original UK production
The revue came about due to many requests for a new version of Sondheim's 1976 revue, Side by Side by Sondheim. Having resisted a new show, he was finally convinced by producer Cameron Mackintosh, and Julia McKenzie was brought in to assist.
Putting It Together was first performed on January 27, 1992 at the Old Fire Station Theatre in Oxford, England, where it ran for 24 performances. Directed by Julia McKenzie and produced by Cameron Mackintosh, the cast included Diana Rigg, Clive Carter, Claire Moore, Clarke Peters, and Kit Hesketh-Harvey.
Original Off-Broadway production
The Manhattan Theatre Club production opened Off-Broadway on April 1, 1993 at New York City Center, where it ran for 59 performances and 37 previews. It was directed by McKenzie and choreographed by Bob Avian, with scenery by Robin Wagner, costumes by Theoni V. Aldredge, and lighting by Tharon Musser. The cast included Stephen Collins, Christopher Durang, Michael Rupert, Rachel York, and Julie Andrews, making her return to the New York City stage after an absence of more than 30 years.
The markedly revised revue now had a slight plot: At an all-night, black-tie party in a penthouse. The hosts, an older couple (Andrews and Collins) face their disillusions and marital troubles; a younger, less jaundiced couple (Rupert and York) struggle with their feelings and desires, and a commentator (Durang) oversees and influences the action. The spouses deal with infidelity and divorce but finally reconcile before dawn. A double-compact disc recording was released by RCA Records.
A production ran at the Mark Taper Forum (Los Angeles, California), from October 22, 1998 to December 6, 1998. The cast included Carol Burnett, George Hearn, John Barrowman, Ruthie Henshall, and Bronson Pinchot. This production transferred to Broadway, opening on November 21, 1999 at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, where it ran for 101 performances and 22 previews. It was directed by Eric D. Schaeffer and choreographed by Bob Avian, with the cast featuring Burnett (The Wife), Barrowman (The Younger Man) and Pinchot (The Observer) reprising their roles, with George Hearn (The Husband) and Ruthie Henshall (The Younger Woman), with Kathie Lee Gifford replacing Burnett at some performances. The production marked the return of Burnett to the Broadway stage after performing in Moon Over Buffalo in 1995. Hearn was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical.
A recording of a live performance is available on both videotape and DVD as Putting It Together: Direct from Broadway At the final show, Burnett's skirt fell down during the song "Back in Business", which was included in the DVD.
Original London Production
The revue received its West End premiere in January 2014 at St. James Theatre, London with a cast that included Janie Dee, David Bedella, Damian Humbley, Caroline Sheen and Daniel Crossley. It was directed by Alastair Knights, with choreography by Matthew Rowland and Musical Supervision by Alex Parker. It ran for a strictly limited 3 week run, closing on the 1st February 2014. Rumours of a possible transfer have been in circles, with the Wyndham's Theatre being a possible new home for the show. 
Original Irish Production
The revue received its Irish premiere in December 2015 at The Lyric Theatre, Belfast with a cast that included Fra Fee, Carol Starks, Nicholas Pound, Christina Tedders and Brad Clapson. It was directed by Stephen Whitson, with Musical Supervision by Alex Parker.
Broadway production (1999)
- Abernathy, June."'Putting It Together' history" sondheim.com, retrieved August 31, 2010
- "'Putting it Together' production history" sondheimguide.com, retrieved August 31, 2010
- Rich, Frank.Review/Theater; Julie Andrews Sings in a Sondheim Revue (p.2)" The New York Times, April 2, 1993
- amazon.com listing, "Putting It Together"
- Shenton, Mark. "Sondheim Revue 'Putting it Together' to Receive London Premiere at St. James Theatre" playbill.com, November 8, 2013
- "Putting it Together – Lyric Theatre, Belfast". Musical Theatre Review. 15 December 2015.
- "Archive for Putting it Together at Lyric Theatre, Belfast. 2015. [BELFAST]". www.uktw.co.uk.
- "Putting It Together". Turner Classic Movies. Atlanta: Turner Broadcasting System (Time Warner). Retrieved October 6, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Putting It Together.|
- Internet Broadway Database listing
- Putting It Together on The Stephen Sondheim Reference Guide
- Putting it Together (1999 Broadway version) at the Music Theatre International website
- Lortel.com listing for 1993 production
- Curtain Up review, 1999 Broadway production, date unknown
- talkinbroadway.com review, November 22, 1999