Escape from Monster Manor
|Escape from Monster Manor|
North American cover art
|Platform(s)||3DO Interactive Multiplayer|
|Genre(s)||Horror, first-person shooter|
Escape from Monster Manor, also known in Japan as Virtual Horror Norowarate Yakata (バーチャルホラー 呪われた館), is a video game developed by The 3DO Company and published by Electronic Arts for the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer.
The game's main developer was Leo Schwab. Schwab has cited Wolfenstein 3D as the chief inspiration for the game. After some months working on a different 3DO game, Schwab and his team abandoned that project and switched to the less ambitious Escape from Monster Manor so that they could have a demo to present at that year's Consumer Electronics Show.
Escape From Monster Manor is a first-person shooter where the player character wanders through a haunted mansion from a first-person point of view in a 3D environment. The player must defeat spiders, spooks, and other horrors to escape.
The objective of the game is to collect pieces of a sacred talisman in each stage, then make it through twelve levels to the exit to escape.
Electronic Gaming Monthly gave the game a 6.75 out of 10, mentioning some minor issues with the control but overall recommending the game for its well-rendered graphics and genuinely creepy audio. GamePro praised the game's frightening graphics and audio, nerve-wracking challenge, and strafing ability. A review in Edge praised the "look and feel" of the game, but criticized the simplicity of the game design and gameplay. The game was compared unfavorably to DOOM and given a score of 5/10. The game was reviewed in 1994 in Dragon #204 by Sandy Petersen in the "Eye of the Monitor" column. Petersen gave the game 2 out of 5 stars.
- "Escape From Monster Manor". Edge. Future Publishing (7): 79. April 1994.
- Matthews, Will (December 2013). "Ahead of its Time: A 3DO Retrospective". Retro Gamer (122). Imagine Publishing. p. 26.
- Schwab, Leo (September 24, 2012). Let's Play - Monster Manor, YouTube. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Petersen, Sandy (April 1994). "Eye of the Monitor". Dragon (204): 59–62.
- "Monster Manor Review". Electronic Gaming Monthly (56). EGM Media, LLC. March 1994. p. 38.
- "ProReview: Escape From Monster Manor". GamePro (57). IDG. April 1994. pp. 58–59.
|This first-person shooter video game article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|