Estancia High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Estancia High School|
2323 Placentia Avenue
|School district||Newport-Mesa Unified School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Fred Navarro|
|Color(s)||Cardinal red and gold|
|Athletics conference||Orange Coast League |
CIF Southern Section
|Rival||Costa Mesa High School|
|Feeder schools||TeWinkle Middle School|
Estancia High School is located in Costa Mesa, California and is part of the Newport-Mesa Unified School District which serves approximately 21,000 students who reside in the cities of Newport Beach and Costa Mesa. Estancia High School is a comprehensive high school which serves the needs of approximately 1,200 students in Grades 9-12. Estancia High School sits on a coastal bluff surrounded by man-made and natural points of interest such as the Costa Mesa Golf Course, the Talbert Nature Reserve and Fairview Park. The socioeconomic level of surrounding community varies from low to upper middle class. Estancia High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The mission of Estancia High School is to ensure that all students demonstrate high academic achievement and sustain successful post high school pursuits. To accomplish this mission, Estancia will maintain an ethical, nurturing and challenging learning environment.
Estancia High School offers a rigorous college prep curriculum. Currently, fourteen Advanced Placement courses are being offered. In fall 2015, Estancia High School launched an Engineering & Design Signature Academy for students entering Grade 9.
Students at Estancia High School have numerous opportunities to become involved on the school campus. To enrich the high school course of study, students can become involved in the following programs:
- Field Studies
- Youth & Government
- Estancia Medical Academy (EMA)
- Academic Decathlon
- Australia Sister City Education Exchange Program
The school offers varsity teams in: Football, Boys and Girls Volleyball, Cheerleading, Boys and Girls Waterpolo, Boys and Girls Tennis, Boys and Girls Cross Country, Boys and Girls Track & field, Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys and Girls Soccer, Coed Wrestling, Boys and Girls Golf, Girls Softball, and Baseball.
- Girls' Volleyball
- Boys' Water Polo
- Girls' Tennis
- Girls' Golf
- Coed Cross Country
- Boys' & Girls' Basketball
- Boys' & Girls' Soccer
- Girls' Water Polo
- Coed Wrestling
- Boys' Baseball
- Girls' Softball
- Boys' Volleyball
- Boys' Golf
- Coed Swimming
- Coed Track & Field
- Boys’ Tennis
Estancia High School's rival is Costa Mesa High School. Each sport plays Costa Mesa High School in the annual Battle of the Bell. The winner of the Battle of the Bell houses the "bell" for the school year. Estancia High School currently houses the bells for football, boys' basketball and girls' basketball. Estancia High School has also been in the recipient of the All Sports Trophy sponsored by Newport Rib Company for the past six school years.
- Rich Amaral, Former Major League Baseball player (Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles)
- Spencer Kayden, Actress
- Rony Argueta, Professional soccer player
- Jeff Gardner, Former Major League Baseball player (New York Mets, San Diego Padres, Montreal Expos)
- Mitchell Hurwitz, creator of the television show Arrested Development. Graduated in 1981.
- Allan Mansoor, Assemblymember representing the 74th Assembly District and former mayor of Costa Mesa
- Matt Fuerbringer, Professional Beach Volleyball player, Class of 1992
- Jeff Graham, gridiron football player
- Wing Lam, Co-founder and face of restaurant chain Wahoo's Fish Taco. Graduated in 1979. 
- "Estancia High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Miller, Michael (March 10, 2006). "The waiting is over". Daily Pilot. Retrieved August 21, 2009.
- "Board of Directors Bios". www.octa.net. Orange County Transportation Authority. Retrieved August 18, 2009.