Joseph Lubin (entrepreneur)
|Education||Princeton University, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science|
|Known for||distributed database entrepreneur, ConsenSys, Ethereum|
Joseph Lubin is a Canadian-American entrepreneur. He has founded and co-founded several companies including the Swiss-based EthSuisse, contributing heavily to Ethereum, the decentralized cryptocurrency platform. Lubin is founder of ConsenSys, a Brooklyn-based software-production studio.
In early 2014, Lubin was Chief Operating Officer of Ethereum Switzerland GmbH (EthSuisse), a company working to extend the capabilities of the type of blockchain database first popularized by Bitcoin, and extend the capabilities of the blockchain to store programs in addition to data, as well as facilitate, verify, or enforce the negotiation or performance of smart contracts.[needs update] The new generation of distributed crypto-secure databases with smart contract functionality has been referred to as "Blockchain 2.0"
Lubin was also involved in the creation of the Ethereum Foundation, a Toronto-based non-profit organization to be a "nonpartisan industry body, made up of [a cross-section of] industry players. It [is intended to] make sure the Ethereum infrastructure works fairly and independently ... like ICANN for the Internet."
He subsequently founded ConsenSys in 2015 which is a decentralized blockchain production studio. It develops software mainly for the Ethereum blockchain system. It also provides decentralized software services to companies. They also do enterprise and government consulting.
Lubin has been personally involved in cross-industry groups attempting to advance solutions to governance issues in the blockchain industry.
- Filiba, Jack (May 3, 2018). "How Toronto's Ethereum Co-Founder Joseph Lubin Pioneers the Blockchain Industry". Coinsquare. Archived from the original on May 14, 2019. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- Schmid, Valentin (2014-05-10). "The Entrepreneur: Joe Lubin, COO of Ethereum". Epoch Times. Archived from the original on 2016-04-25. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "The Richest People In Cryptocurrency". Forbes. 6 February 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-02-26. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- "Company Overview of Ethereum Switzerland GmbH". Bloomberg. 2016-08-20. Archived from the original on 2016-08-20. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
The company was founded in 2014 and is based in Baar, Switzerland. Archived 2019-02-02 at the Wayback Machine
- Popper, Nathaniel (2016-03-27). "Ethereum, a Virtual Currency, Enables Transactions That Rival Bitcoin's". New York Times. Archived from the original on 2016-03-31. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "Blockchain's Backers Gather to Push Governance for Technology". Bloomberg.com. 2016-08-22. Archived from the original on 2017-12-25. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
|This article about a United States businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|