|Born||1964 (age 58–59)|
|Education||Princeton University, electrical engineering and computer science|
|Known for||distributed database entrepreneur, ConsenSys, Ethereum|
Joseph Lubin (born 1964) is a Canadian-American entrepreneur. He has founded and co-founded several companies including the Swiss-based EthSuisse, contributing heavily to Ethereum, the decentralized cryptocurrency platform. Lubin is founder of ConsenSys, a Brooklyn-based software-production studio.
In early 2014, Lubin was a co-founder of Ethereum and served as chief operating officer of Ethereum Switzerland GmbH (EthSuisse), a company working to extend the capabilities of the type of blockchain technology first popularized by Bitcoin, and extend the capabilities of the blockchain to store programs in addition to data, as well as facilitate, verify, or enforce the negotiation or performance of smart contracts.[needs update] The new generation of distributed crypto-secure databases with smart contract functionality has been referred to as "Blockchain 2.0".
He subsequently founded ConsenSys in 2015 which is a decentralized blockchain production studio. It develops software mainly for the Ethereum blockchain system. It also provides decentralized software services to companies. They also do enterprise and government consulting.
Lubin has been personally involved in cross-industry groups attempting to advance solutions to governance issues in the blockchain industry.
- Filiba, Jack (May 3, 2018). "How Toronto's Ethereum Co-Founder Joseph Lubin Pioneers the Blockchain Industry". Coinsquare. Archived from the original on May 14, 2019. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- "Researchers link realism to blockchain's promise". Princeton University. December 26, 2018. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- "The Richest People In Cryptocurrency". Forbes. 6 February 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-02-26. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- Jain, Aman (17 August 2021). "Founders' Fork: The Ethereum Architects Now Locked in Battle". Entrepreneur. Archived from the original on 18 August 2021. Retrieved 19 August 2021.
- "Company Overview of Ethereum Switzerland GmbH". Bloomberg. 2016-08-20. Archived from the original on 2016-08-20. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
The company was founded in 2014 and is based in Baar, Switzerland.
- Popper, Nathaniel (2016-03-27). "Ethereum, a Virtual Currency, Enables Transactions That Rival Bitcoin's". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 2016-03-31. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Bambysheva, Nina. "Ethereum Software Company ConsenSys Doubles Valuation To $7 Billion In Four Months Amid Market Turbulence". Forbes. Retrieved 2023-05-12.
- "Blockchain's Backers Gather to Push Governance for Technology". Bloomberg.com. 2016-08-22. Archived from the original on 2017-12-25. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- "What you need to know about Joe Lubin?". Benzinga. 6 February 2018. Retrieved 2021-09-14.