Evelyn Mary Breakell
14 September 1906
|Died||19 December 1992 (aged 86)|
Auckland, New Zealand
|Known for||Children's books|
|My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes|
|Relatives||Lynley Dodd (cousin-in-law)|
Evelyn Mary Sutton (née Breakell, 14 September 1906 – 19 December 1992), commonly known as Eve Sutton, was a New Zealand children’s author.
Early life and family
Evelyn Mary Breakell was born in Preston, Lancashire, England, on 14 September 1906. She worked as a primary school teacher from 1927 to 1931, when she married Arthur Sutton at Christ Church, Fulwood, Preston. In 1949, the family migrated to New Zealand, and Eve Sutton became a naturalised New Zealand citizen in 1955.
Sutton's first children's book, My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes, was written after her cousin by marriage, Lynley Dodd, suggested that they collaborate on a book; Sutton wrote the text and Dodd provided the illustrations. Now regarded as a New Zealand classic, it was Sutton's only picture book, and it received the Esther Glen Award in 1975.
Subsequently, Sutton went on to write books for older children, including a series of novels about the experiences of immigrants to New Zealand. In 1990, she was awarded the New Zealand Children's Literature Association's Award for Services to Children's Literature.
- 1973 — My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
- 1976 — Green Gold
- 1977 — Johnny Sweep
- 1977 — Tuppenny Brown
- 1978 — Moa Hunter
- 1983 — Surgeon's Boy
- 1983 — Skip for the Huntaway
- 1984 — Kidnapped by Blackbirders
- 1987 — Valley of Heavenly Gold
- "New Zealand, naturalisations, 1843–1968". Ancestry.com Operations. 2010. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Eve Sutton". Storylines Children's Literature Charitable Trust. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "Marriage entries". Lancashire BMD. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Eve Sutton". Penguin Books New Zealand. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Storylines Betty Gilderdale Award". Storylines Children's Literature Charitable Trust. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Burial & cremation details". Purewa Cemetery and Crematorium. Retrieved 13 June 2019.