Extended Play (Pretenders EP)
|EP by Pretenders|
|Released||March 30, 1981|
Extended Play is a 1981 EP released by new wave band Pretenders. "Message of Love" and "Talk of the Town" featured on this EP were also included on their second album Pretenders II released later the same year. "Porcelain" and "Cuban Slide", outtakes from their Pretenders debut album, were included on Disc Two of the 2006 remastered edition of their debut album and on the Pirate Radio box set. The live version of "Precious" on this EP, recorded at their August 30, 1980 New York Central Park performance, has still yet to be released on CD. The booklet for Disc One of the Pretenders debut album from the 2015 UK Edsel / Rhino Records box set 1979-1999 incorrectly states "Precious" (track 17) is from that Central Park performance but it's from their March 23, 1980 Boston performance that's also on Disc Two of the 2006 remastered edition of their debut album.
This EP was released mainly in the US, not in the UK. In the UK, the tracks were released as the singles "Message of Love" b/w "Porcelain" and "Talk of the Town" b/w "Cuban Slide". "Precious" is unique to this release.
All songs written by Chrissie Hynde unless otherwise indicated.
|Robert Christgau||B+ |
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
- "Message of Love" – 3:24
- "Talk of the Town" – 2:42 (edit of the 3:13 single)
- "Porcelain" 3:53
- "Cuban Slide" (Hynde, Honeyman-Scott) – 4:29
- "Precious" – 3:17 (Live in Central Park, August 30, 1980)
- Chrissie Hynde – rhythm guitar, lead vocals
- Pete Farndon – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Martin Chambers – drums, backing vocals
- James Honeyman-Scott – lead guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
|1981||Billboard Pop Albums||27|