Ezechiel Saad during a lecture about the I Ching
29 August 1943
Buenos Aires, Argentine
|Occupation||Writer, coach, I Ching expert|
Ezechiel Saad (born August 29, 1943, Argentina) is a writer, painter and graphic designer, lecturer and cultural entertainer naturalized French in 1990. He specialized in the interpretation of the I Ching or "Book of Changes" and published four books from 1989.
Saad was born in Buenos Aires, in the heart of an immigrant family of Syrian and Ukrainian origin. He travelled from his youth touring America, Europe and the Far East. During his tour of Latin America met some of the intellectuals who encouraged the cultural life of the time. Soon he was drawn by humanism and altruism that inspired his compatriots, painter Pérez Celis and poet Alejandra Pizarnik; in Quito, Ulises Estrella and the tzánzicos; and Sergio Mondragón in Mexico. Is part of the artistic movement Nueva Presencia that runs Arnold Belkin, and encourages the university cultural life with a radio program at the University of Mexico, assisted by writer Max Aub. In the United States met with poets Allen Ginsberg and Lawrence Ferlinghetti, increasing his spiritual concern.
After his forced return to Argentina to perform military service, sailed to Europe where he discovered the I Ching in 1964, and began experimenting and studying it in the monotheistic religions context. In 1969 he began to practice zazen, sitting as a disciple of Japanese Master Taisen Deshimaru, who brought Zen to Europe. In 1979, after his ordination as Zen monk in Paris he alternated spiritual life, artistic development and trips to Japan and China, where he met and practiced zazen with other masters as Philip Kapleau and Maezumi Roshi. As a result, he was invited to the Eranos Foundation in 1991 by the translator of the I Ching, Rudolph Ritsema.
From 1978 he started as a lecturer at the Sorbonne and Centre Pompidou in Paris, at the Institut Belge des Hautes Etudes chinoises, Brussels, centres of gestalt psychology with (Norberto Levi), and eastern philosophy centres in Europe and South America. In 1996 he created the International School of I Ching in Paris. whose vice-chairman is Peter Adam Coppens.
Between 1967 and 1974 he held an atellier at La Ruche,the artists residence designed by Gustave Eiffel, participating in the artistic bohemia of Paris, and meanwhile dedicated to the creation and study of Zen as a member of the International Zen Association.
From 1989 he began to work as a digital artist, being one of the pioneers and exhibiting in various halls and galleries: Art 3000, Studio Graphic Apple France, Apple Expo (CNIT and Lyon), College of Fine Arts in Paris National School (ENSBA), Futurys, and Traphot (Epinal and Paris).
Between 1991 and 1994 illustrated the covers and magazine articles: Le Courrier de l'Unesco, Macworld, Graphic Studio, Génération Tao, Sino Santé, and Nouvelles Clés. He exhibited his creations at the New York Open Center, and in art galleries in Europe, as Wipple Museum of Cambridge, and also Japan.
Meanwhile, he is still carrying out his research on philosophy, spirituality and art. Since 1984 he practices and investigates with the I Ching (Yi Jing) and publish several editions in French, Spanish and Portuguese. He deals with the myths and history of the Far East, the notions of chance and determinism, health and wellness, awareness raising and the pursuit of happiness. He introduces in his research the contemplative experience of Zen and Tibetan Buddhism along with Western science and philosophy, following the approach of Dr. Joseph Needham, who will meet twice in Cambridge, 1986-87.
He settled in Barcelona in 2003, where he continues his work as a consultant, writer and artist. He lectures and teaches at Casa Asia, and the Writers' Association of Catalonia. He applies his knowledge of the I Ching and Zen to the study of specific problems with the support of new technologies and social networks.
- Yi King, mythe et histoire, preface by Vincent Bardet, cover design by Zao wou-ki, French, Sophora, Paris 1989. ISBN 2-907927-00-0
- I Ching, Mito e Historia, Spanish, Heptada, Madrid, 1992.ISBN 9788478920310
- I Ching, mito e historia, Portuguese, Pensamiento, Brasil, 1989.ISBN 85-3150-316-7
- Hasard et Intuition, French, preface by zen master Jacques Brosse. Ed. Dervy, París, 1991. ISBN 2-85076-438-8
- Adivinar el Inconsciente / Deviner l’Inconscient, bilingual Spanish~French, Editorial Punto, Barcelona, 2010.
- La escritura china, y la epopeya de lo pragmático, Escuela de I Ching Internacional, Barcelona 2011.
Notes and references
- Pérez Celis illustrated his early work Estado de Alerta, Publisher La lengua del dragón, Buenos Aires 1964. http://www.perezcelis.com/
- Arnold Belkin, Nueva Presencia, No. 5, August 1963. Shifra M. Goldman, art historian and human rights activist, writes about art Movement Nueva Presencia (and the magazine with the same name) and one of its young members, poet Ezequiel Saad, in his book Contemporary Mexican painting in a time of change, University of Texas Press, 1981, p. 62.
- Eranos Conference, Rudolph Ritsema, Director of Studies of the Eranos Foundation, Ascona, Switzerland.
- Yi King, Mythe et histoire, Maison de l’Amérique Latine, Paris, oct-nov., 1989
- Yi King, exploration du futur, Revue Parlée, Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, febr. 1985
- ABC, 30/06/1967, P. 80: Gallery Seiquer, Object Poems by Ezequiel Saad http://hemeroteca.abc.es/nav/Navigate.exe/hemeroteca/madrid/abc/1967/06/30/080.html Martine Pasquet writes about Saad literary work at article “La descendencia de Jonás” Zona Franca Magazine, February 1972, No. 11, Caracas, Venezuela http://www.damaso-ogaz.com.ve/la_descendencia_de_jonas.html
- Zen et Yi King, 27 feb. 1987, Association Zen Internationale, Paris.
- Rencontre Internationale d’Art Infographique; Codirector Florent Aziosmanoff; catalogue and preface to Jean-Claude Carrière, Palais de Tokyo, Paris, 12 nov–7 dic. 1992.
- Studio Graphique, Apple France, Les Ulis, 1991-1994
- Festival Création et Infographie, Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts (E.N.S.B.A.), Paris, 21 mayo-8 junio 1992; 15 enero-21 junio 1993.
- Futurys, Le fonds d’un atelier numérique, exhibition by Jean-Christophe Courte: Une image peut en cacher une autre (http://about.me/jchriscourte); and Florent Aziosmanoff: Ezéchiel Saad, Naissance d’un art; 9- 26 junio 1994, Galerie du Bailli, Epinal. Futurys, Salon F.A.U.S.T., Forum des Arts de l’Univers Scientifique et Technique, Toulouse, 1992 y 1994.
- Traphot, Retrospective Chart Creation and Image infographic 1992-1995; Music Roland Cahen (http://roland.cahen.pagesperso-orange.fr/Textes/CATALOGUE-Roland-Cahen_2008.htm), CD-Moniteurs Peter Adam Coppens, Montrouge, Paris 1995.
- Le Courrier de l’Unesco, dec. 1992 and 1994, Unesco Paris, France.
- Macworld, Yin et Yang, n° 4, T 5528, Paris, 1997
- Hélène Maugueret, Ezéchiel Saad, L’art par l’informatique, article, Graphic Studio n° 33, M 3394, Paris.
- Génération Tao, nº 1- 8, 1997-98; ISSN 1278-3803 (M 1935), Paris. http://www.generation-tao.com/auteur-fiche_220_Ezechiel-Saad
- Sino Santé, n° 33, Paris, dec. 1999
- Nouvelles Clés, Le point de non-retour, by Marc de Smedt, M 1905, París, jan-feb. 1990.
- New York Open Center, New York, winter/spring 1998.
- DNA - Representations of the Double Helix Wipple Museum, 2002.
- Jean-Claude Carrière, catalogue de la 2ème Rencontre Internationale d'Art Infographique, Palais de Tokyo, Paris, 12/nov. to 14/dec, 92.
- Needham Research Institute, East Asian Institute of Science Trust, Newsletter nº7, January 1990.
- Club Casa Asia, Ezéchiel Saad, Los judíos de la China, Barcelona, 17 nov. 2008 http://www.casaasia.es/pdf/9300845532PM1222786532945.pdf. ; Iniciación al I Ching y su escritura, Barcelona 9 march, 2009 ; La salud y los 8 trigramas, Barcelona 1 march 2010 ; y Club Casa Asia, Madrid, 25 march 2010; El descubrimiento del I Ching, Barcelona, 27 june 2011
- Adivinar el inconsciente, with Jorge Zentner and Carlos Bermejo, A.C.E.C., Barcelona, 14 feb. 2010. http://www.acec-web.org/acec2k9/spa/oo.asp?art=198 ; http://www1.alliancefr.com/conference--signature-deviner-l-inconscient-news80,177,6637.html