Fåvang Stave Church
|Fåvang Stave Church|
|Affiliation||Church of Norway|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Active|
|Year consecrated||9 September 1951|
|Location||Fåvang in Oppland|
Fåvang Stave Church (Fåvang stavkyrkje) is a parish church located south of the village of Fåvang in Ringebu municipality in Oppland county, Norway. The church is situated in the traditional region of Gudbrandsdal. Fåvang church is an active parish church in the Ringebu parish of the Sør-Gudbrandsdal prosti within the Diocese of Hamar.
Fåvang Stave Church is built of wood and was first constructed ca. 1300. During the period 1627–1630, Fåvang church was rebuilt and extended with parts of the material from an 11th-century stave church within the valley of Gudbrandsdal. Consequently, the oldest parts can date back to about 1150–1250. By tradition the reconstruction was supervised by master-builder Werner Olsen (ca. 1600–1682), who was also responsible for reconstruction of Ringebu Stave Church and Lom Stave Church.
The church has a number of historic furnishings. Among other things the church has votives from 1684–1694. The altar and pulpit are of Renaissance style, both dated to the 17th century. A painting of the Christ Child is from 1732.
The church has been through several reconstructions. It was restored during the period 1949 to 1951 under the direction of architect Jens Gram Dunker. The church was re-consecrated on 9 September 1951. Because it has been so extensively modified, it is often not counted among Norwegian stave churches.
- "Fåvang kirke". Den norske kirke. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Sokneprest i Ringebu, Fåvang og Venabygd". Hamar bispedømme. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Fåvang sokn i Ringebu prestegjeld". Arkivverket Digitalarkivet. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- Kåre Hosar. "Werner Olsen". Norsk kunstnerleksikon. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Fåvang kirkested". Kulturminnesøk. Archived from the original on 15 December 2018. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- Elisabeth Seip. "Jens Dunker". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Archived from the original on 19 December 2017. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Stavkirker i Oppland". lokalhistoriewiki.no. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fåvang kirke.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Oppland county, Norway is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|