Fabio Costa (conductor)
Fábio Costa (b. 1971) is a Brazilian-born conductor and composer.
Fabio Ciglioni Martins Costa was born in São Paulo, Brazil, to an engineer and a psychologist, with family roots in Portugal and Italy (Costa is a dual Brazilian/Italian citizen) and was partly raised in Germany (1982–1984). His grandfather Waldemar Ciglioni was a popular radiophonic actor, and great-grandfather Armando Ciglioni, a neapolitan-song composer/impresario and violinist at São Paulo Opera House.
Costa started out musically self-taught at age 8 (piano and composition) deciding by age 14 to become a professional musician; a year of horn studies was then followed by oboe studies at age 16 and 8 years of professional activity as an orchestral oboist, chamber musician and soloist.
Costa won the 1995 Conducting Competition of the São Paulo Symphony and debuted subsequently as a conductor with that orchestra. After a year of oboe studies at the Franz Liszt Academy of Budapest (1995–1996) video, Costa went on to pursue a career as a conductor.
Between 1996–1999 Costa studied at the Vienna Music Academy (opera and orchestral conducting, class Uros Lajovic) with a special scholarship of the Brazilian Government; he was also coached by Kurt Masur video (São Paulo 2001 and 2003), Leonard Slatkin and Murry Sidlin (National Conducting Institute, Washington DC, 2001) and Gianluigi Gelmetti (Accademia Chigiana, Siena Italy, 2005).
Fabio Costa began his professional career (Ribeirão Preto, Brazil) with a schedule of about 25 symphonic concerts over the 1999/2000 season, and as Associate Conductor of the Spokane Symphony Orchestra and Director of Orchestras at Eastern Washington University – positions he held until 2003 – he conducted over 80 concerts, with a total audience estimated at about 70.000 people video.
Acting mainly as a guest conductor between 2004 and 2007, he appeared with the Orquestra Petrobrás Sinfonica, São Paulo University Orchestra, Paraná State Orchestra video, São Paulo City Youth Orchestra (Orquestra Experimental de Repertório), São Paulo State Youth Orchestra, São Paulo Radio Orchestra (extinct) video Orquestra Amazonas Filarmônica, Mendoza Symphony Orchestra.
Between 2008 and 2009, Costa participated in establishing the Minas Gerais Philharmonic, a major Brazilian orchestra, as its Associate Conductor. In that position, he conducted over 60 concert performances that took place throughout federal state of Minas Gerais video. This effort reached an audience of over 80.000 people, in over 30 locations statewide, mostly with cost-free access to the public at large, including a relevant number of under-privileged communities in various state regions. Costa has conducted over 300 performances to an estimated audience of over 150,000 attendants.
As concert and opera conductor, Costa took part in productions of Le Nozze Di Figaro; Zauberflöte (coaching, Vienna Music Academy) "The Metamorphosis", (coaching and conducting, Vienna Music Academy); Gianni Schicchi, La Gioconda, Othello, Werther (coaching, Manaus Opera House), Fosca (Carlos Gomes – coaching and conducting, Manaus Opera House), Macbeth (coaching, conducting – Palacio das Artes, Belo Horizonte) video.
Among his compositional works, the choral work of humanistic and socio-environmental content "Psalms for the Earth" has been awarded the 2008 Composition Prize of the Brazilian Music Academy (II Prêmio Cláudio Santoro de Composição Musical, 2008); this work already explored higher harmonic limits by employing 11-limit Just Intonation techniques. The work "Excerpt from Meditation"  (2009) continued that path, exploring in 19-limit Just-Intonation (through an unequal division of the octave in 120 parts).
In 2010, Costa's orchestral Work "In Four Dimensions" was a winner of the Composition Prize  of the Brazilian National Foundation for the Arts (FUNARTE) , within the 2011 Biennale of Brazilian Contemporary Music being performed by the UFF National Symphony Orchestra.
The problems of enharmony within J.I. systems led Costa to an insight into the possibilities of 31 equal temperament, which allows for good approximation in higher harmonic limits. This resulted in a collaboration  with the Huygens-Fokker Foundation within its Mikrofest 2015  at the Muziekgebow aan t'Ij  in Amsterdam, with a performance of "Aphoristic Madrigals" for SATB soli and Fokker-Organ video+score by the ensemble Vokalprojekt 31, especially formed at this occasion.
List of selected works
12 Bagatelles for Piano – (1996)video/score
Prelude for Piano– (2002) video/score
3 Short Polyphonic Pieces for Piano– (1999–2000) video/score
Eclogue for Piano- (2002)
Etude for Piano– (2003) video/score
Fuga a 4 for Piano–(2002)
Papillon: Brief Life and Death of a Butterfly(2002) video/score
Valsa Lenta em Tons Terra– (2004)
Second Prelude for Piano– (2006) video/score
Piano 4 Hands
Fantasia Polifonica Sopra "O Cravo Brigou com a Rosa"
Prelude-Meditation for Organ(2006) video/score
Prelude and Fugue for Piano, Horn and Violoncello (1987)
2 Lieder for Piano, Oboe and Bariton (1988)
3 Phantasiestücke for Clarinet or Viola and Piano – 1992
Nonett – 1994
3 Late Romantic Songs after Rilke and Trakl– 1996
Fantasia Polifonica Sopra "O Cravo Brigou com a Rosa"
Sospiri for String Orchestra
Valsa lenta em Tons Terra
String Orchestra and Soloist
Meine Frühverliehene Lieder(Lied, after Rilke), Sopran or Tenor
Der Tod des Dichters (Symphonic Poem nach Rilke) (1991)
Eclogue for Orchestra (2002)
Reminiscences for Orchestra (2004)
Prelude for Orchestra (2007) video
Essay for Orchestra (2007)
Orchestra and Soloist
"3 Late Romantic Lieder" after Rilke and Trakl for Sopran or Tenor and Orchestra
"Psalm for the Earth" for SATB solo, Choir SATB, obligato percussion quartet, Organ and Orchestra (2007)
"Aphoristic Madrigals" for SATB and 31-tone Organ (2015) video+score
- "Ilustrada – Teatro Municipal apresenta pianistas Caio Pagano e Jacek Kortus". Folha Online. 28 June 2006. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Ilustrada – Músicos pedem a volta da Sinfonia Cultura em protesto". Folha Online. 27 January 2005. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "La sinfonica cerrara festejos por el bicentenario". Universidad Nacional de Cuyo.[dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Concerto Didático: Orquestra Filarmônica de MG". Guia Entrada Franca. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Orquestra Filarmônica de MG: Concerto Especial do Dia das Mães". Guia Entrada Franca. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais na Lagoa do Nado". Guia Entrada Franca. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Ouro Preto recebe concerto inédito da Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais". O Inconfidente On-line. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 21 July 2010.
- "São João del-Rei recebe Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais no próximo domingo". Blog de SÃO JOÃO DEL-REI: Turismo, Cultura, História, Tradição e muito mais. 26 February 2004. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais se apresenta em Cataguases dia 17 abril". cataguasesemfoco.com. 16 April 2009. Archived from the original on 11 September 2011.
- "Jornal O TEMPO Contagem :: Notícias ::". Otempo.com.br. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Orquestra Filarmônica De Minas Gerais – Pouso do Lourenço – Notícias". Saolourenco.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Programa Fica Vivo!: núcleo de jovens de Vespasiano assistem apresentação da Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais « Minas em Pauta – Desenvolvimento Urbano". Minasempauta1.wordpress.com. 16 September 2009. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Orquestra FilarmЗnica de Minas Gerais estreia turnЖ gratuita em Juiz de Fora". ACESSA.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Noir :: Comunicação Total: Filarmônica De Minas Gerais Abre O Ano Da França No Brasil". Noircomunicacao.blogspot.com. 11 July 2006. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Filarmônica é atração deste sábado na Praça da Glória". Folhadecontagem.com.br. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais se apresenta em Barbacena dia 18". Barbacenaonline. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Concerto didрtico leva mЩsica clрssica para escola pЩblica". Wwo.uai.com.br. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Notícias – Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais se apresenta debaixo de chuva". globominas.globo.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Notícias – Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais encanta público nesse domingo em Betim". Globominas.globo.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Notícias – Filarmônica de Minas Gerais faz concerto em homenagem aos pais". Globominas.globo.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Entrevistas". Fcs.mg.gov.br. 20 August 2011. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Vokalprojekt 31 Berlin". eventful.com. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Recensies, foto's en video's van Vokalprojekt 31 Berlin". 1erang.nl. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "MicroFest Amsterdam 2015". Stichting Huygens-Fokker. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ". muziekgebouw.nl. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Vokalprojekt 31 - New and old harmonies in 31-tone system". muziekgebouw.nl. Retrieved 21 November 2016.