|Faiz Y. Bhora|
Aga Khan University|
George Washington University
UCLA Medical Center
The University of Pennsylvania
Mount Sinai Roosevelt|
Mount Sinai St. Luke's
Faiz Y. Bhora is an American thoracic surgeon, currently Chief of Thoracic Surgery at Mount Sinai Roosevelt and Mount Sinai St. Luke's Hospitals. He is the Director of Thoracic Surgical Oncology at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York City. He is an Associate Professor of Surgery at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Bhora specializes in minimally invasive approaches to thoracic surgical diseases, especially thoracic cancer and in the use of the Da Vinci Surgical System to perform minimally invasive thoracic surgery.
Bhora is nationally and internationally known for his expertise in advanced bronchoscopic surgery involving the airway, including airway stenting and endoscopic excision of tumors. He has developed one of the largest Interventional Airway Programs in the region.
Bhora received his MD from the Aga Khan University in 1992. He completed a residency in General Surgery at the George Washington University Medical Center in 2000, followed by Cardiothoracic Surgery training at UCLA Medical Center in 2002. In addition, he completed a fellowship in Thoracic Oncology Surgery at The University of Pennsylvania in 2005.
Bhora is President of the New York General Thoracic Surgical Club, the premier general thoracic surgical society in the tri-state area.
Bhora is the Director of Thoracic Surgery Research at Mount Sinai Roosevelt and Mount Sinai St. Luke's Hospitals. His current research efforts involve working to create a bioengineered trachea using a novel collagen scaffold as well as 3D printing technology. In addition, he is exploring the radiobiology of lung cancer combined with chemotherapy, the use of stents to palliate lung cancer and outcomes research including robotic lung lobectomy. Dr. Bhora directed the Ahmad Adaya Cardiothoracic Research Fellowship that has been responsible for the training and mentoring of several young physicians.
Bhora is married to Naveen R. Bhora, an Attorney specializing in US Immigration Law, whom he met while training in California. They have two children together.
- Patient’s Choice Award 2009-2013
- America’s Top Surgeons 2011-2013
- Castle Connolly New York Metro Top Docs 2013
- New York Magazine Top Doctors 2013
- New York Super Doctors 2013
- "St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center - Faiz Y. Bhora". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Razi, SS; Lebovics, RS; Schwartz, G; Sancheti, M; Belsley, S; Connery, CP; Bhora, FY (October 2010). "Timely airway stenting improves survival in patients with malignant central airway obstruction". The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 90 (4): 1088–93. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2010.06.093. PMID 20868793.
- "New York General Thoracic Surgical Club". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Thoracic Surgery Research Laboratory". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Miller, Tracy (January 27, 2014). "New York docs' 3D-printed windpipe may one day let patients breathe easier". Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Discovering New Treatments for Lung and Airway Diseases". January 27, 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Ahmad Adaya Cardiothoracic Research Fellowship". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Patients Choice Award". Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Super Doctors". Retrieved 15 February 2014.