Family Tradition (Hank Williams Jr. song)
|Single by Hank Williams Jr.|
|from the album Family Tradition|
|B-side||"Paying on Time"|
|Released||May 28, 1979|
|Genre||Country, country rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Hank Williams Jr.|
|Hank Williams Jr. singles chronology|
"Family Tradition" is a song written and recorded by American country music artist Hank Williams Jr. It was released in May 1979 as the fourth and final single and title track from his album of the same name. It peaked at No. 4, and is one of his most popular songs. It has sold 909,000 digital copies as of April 2016.
The song is a Williams' statement of rebellion, not only in his lifestyle and living out the lyrics of his songs, but of his musical identity and direction.
With the latter point, the lyrics state Williams' unapologetic desire to forge his own style, particularly in response to criticism for his change from countrypolitan and covers of his father's songs. At the same time proclaiming how proud and honored he is to be part of his father's musical legacy, the younger Williams makes clear that his musical style – southern rock fused with honky tonk – is very different from the blues-oriented honky-tonk popular during Williams' lifetime.
Taking off on the point of his father, the younger Williams notes that the hard-living lifestyle is a "family tradition," referring to the alcohol and drug use that became associated with his personal life.
- "Why do you drink?"
- "TO GET DRUNK!"
- "And why do you roll smokes?"
- "TO GET STONED!"
- "Why must you live out/the songs that you wrote?"
- "TO GET LAID!"
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||4|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||16|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||909,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Bjorke, Matt (April 4, 2016). "The Top 30 Digital Country Singles: April 4, 2016". Roughstock.
- Thom Jurek. "Family Tradition - Hank Williams, Jr. | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "Hank Williams, Jr. says Obama doesn’t like the National Anthem – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs". Politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "Hank Williams, Jr. – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Hank Williams, Jr..
- "Hank Williams, Jr. – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Hank Williams, Jr..
- "American single certifications – Hank Williams Jr. – Family Tradition". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved March 31, 2016. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH