Father Tolton Regional Catholic High School
|Father Augustine Tolton Regional Catholic High School|
|3351 E. Gans Road
Columbia, Missouri, (Boone County) 65201
|Motto||Follow not the well worn path.Go instead where there is no path and blaze a trail.|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Superintendent||Mr. Donald F. Novotney |
|Chaplain||Fr. Mike Coleman |
|Color(s)||White, Columbia Blue|
|Tuition||Tuition is $7,395 per year per child for registered Catholic families and $9,495 per year for all other students.|
Father Augustine Tolton Regional Catholic High School is the first private, Roman Catholic high school in Columbia, Missouri, built in 2010. It is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Jefferson City. The school is named after Missouri native Augustine Tolton, the first self-identified black Catholic priest in the United States.
As of September 2010 a little over 10 million dollars have been raised for the construction of the school. Construction costs will be less than the projected total of 14 million, in part because of the donations of many companies. The first classes started in August 2011. Additional funds are being raised with the hope of keeping tuition affordable for as many children as possible.
Father Tolton biographical summary
Father Augustine Tolton was functionally illiterate at the age of 14. Despite this adversity as a young boy he became fluent in German having attended mass in that language regularly. His primary and secondary education was completed with the help of priests and brothers as he was also not welcome in regular schools because of his race. After being denied admission to seminaries within the United States he was admitted to the College of the Sacred Propaganda at Rome. His time in Rome was a time of rigorous study during which he also became fluent in Latin and Italian. After completing his studies his goal was to travel to Africa to preach to the less fortunate. Instead he was transferred back to his home where he chose to live with his mother. There, despite facing many barriers, he was an engaging preacher. He died at the age of 43, some say from heat stroke as his health already suffered from excessive work.
Tolton High School is located on the south side of Columbia off of U.S. Route 63 on East Gans Road.
Tolton is a member of the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA) which governs the athletics of most schools within Missouri. The school's teams are designated the "Trailblazers." Sponsored sports include cross country, football, basketball, volleyball, softball, baseball, soccer, cheerleading, dance, track, tennis, and wrestling.
Notes and references
- "Diocesan School Office". Catholic Diocese of Jefferson City. Archived from the original on 2013-03-06.
- "Faculty and Staff". Fr. Tolton Regional Catholic High School. 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "Fr. Tolton Catholic High School".
- "Admissions FAQs". Father Tolton Catholic High School.
- "Welcome to Fr. Tolton Catholic". Father Tolton Catholic High School.
- Braden, Jonathon (October 3, 2009). "Catholic High Has a Name as Donations Still Sought". Columbia Daily Tribune. Archived from the original on January 10, 2013.
- Braden, Jonathon (January 6, 2010). "Catholic School Gets New Fundraiser". Columbia Daily Tribune. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- "Father Tolton Regional Catholic High School". Retrieved 2012-08-27.