This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Oakland, California, United States|
|Past members||Jenya Chernoff|
Faun Fables is an American band from Oakland, California. Faun Fables is a concept and vehicle for Dawn McCarthy, who was inspired to write the original material while traveling after leaving the New York City music scene in 1997. Faun Fables also covers 20th century compositions by other songwriters and traditional folk songs. The music on the first album is entirely by McCarthy, as are all lyrics and most of the music on Mother Twilight. All albums except for the first are collaborations with Nils Frykdahl, inspired by McCarthy's previous work and "Dawn the Faun" stage persona.
Frykdahl is known for his work with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Idiot Flesh. Dan Rathbun, a longtime collaborator of Frykdahl's, produced the two most recent albums and mastered Mother Twilight. The albums and shows also feature collaborations with:
- family members Sheila Bosco (Autobody; Drumhead; Flaming Fire; zBug), Brian McCarthy and mother Michelina Tyrie;
- Matt Waldron of 'Irr App Ext'
- Robin Coomer of 'Loop!Station'
- Kirana Peyton of Blackbird Stitches;
- Isabel Douglass of Rupa & the April Fishes;
- Noe Venable;
- Will Oldham;
- Dan Rathbun of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (bass guitar)
McCarthy's performances draw on many influences, from British, Scandinavian, Appalachian and Eastern European music. Her shows often contain elements of theater—dance and puppet shows are common elements. Her music has been compared to Ewa Demarczyk and to neo-psych-folk artists such as Devendra Banhart and Current 93. Transit Rider music is complete take of Ewa Demarczyk
The Transit Rider
|1999||Early Song||(unofficial)||Reissue: August 24, 2004; Drag City|
|2001||Mother Twilight||Earthlight||Reissue: August 24, 2004; Drag City|
|February 24, 2004||Family Album||Drag City|
|March 16, 2006||The Transit Rider||Drag City||Stage Performance|
|October 19, 2010||Light of a Vaster Dark||Stage Performance|
|July 22, 2016||Born of the Sun||Drag City|
- Dawn McCarthy: composer, vocals, guitars, percussion, stomping, autoharp, gamelan
- Nils Frykdahl: composer, guitars, flutes, vocals, percussion, autoharp, broom
- Sheila Bosco: vocals, percussion
- Kirana Peyton: bass, vocals, percussion, harmonium
- Meredith Yayanos: violin, theremin, vocals, percussion
The Transit Rider North America Tour 2006:
- "The history of Faun Fables, home of Dawn McCarthy and Nils Frykdahl". Faunfables.com. Retrieved 2013-03-02.