Fazlul Halim Chowdhury
||This article contains embedded lists that may be better presented using prose. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Fazlul Halim Chowdhury|
Fazlul Halim Chowdhury
1 August 1930|
Kunja Sreepur, Comilla,
Bengal Presidency, British Raj
(now in Bangladesh)
|Died||April 9, 1996(aged 65)|
|Education||BSc University of Dhaka
MSc University of Dhaka (1951)
PhD Manchester University (1956)
|Thesis||The Acid Behaviour of Carboxylic Derivatives (1956)|
Fazlul Halim Chowdhury (1 August 1930 – 9 April 1996) was a fellow of the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences and one of the longest-serving Vice-Chancellors of the University of Dhaka. He made pioneering contributions to the development of physical chemistry in Bangladesh, publishing more than 20 articles. He focused on cellulose fibers (especially jute), polyelectrolytes, and proteins.
- SSC, Noakhali R.K. Zilla H.E. School, 1945
- HSC, Comilla Victoria College, 1947
- BSc (Hons), Department of Chemistry, University of Dhaka, First in the First Class
- MSc, Department of Chemistry, University of Dhaka, First in the First Class, 1951
- PhD, Manchester University, UK (Thesis entitled "The Acid Behaviour of Carboxylic Derivatives", 5 July 1956) Awarded "Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851" to pursue PhD studies.
- Lecturer, 1952–53; Assistant Professor, 1956–58, Department of Chemistry, Dhaka University
- Professor, Department of Chemistry and Applied Chemistry, Rajshahi University, 1958–90
- Nuffield Fellow, Cambridge University, U.K. 1960–62
- Dean, Faculty of Science, Rajshahi University, 1972
- Commonwealth Senior Fellow, Cambridge University, U.K. 1973–74
- Member, University Grants Commission (UGC), 1974–76
- Vice Chancellor, University of Dhaka, 1976–83
- Fellow of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, 1979 
- Asia Foundation Fellowship, 1984
- President, Bangladesh Chemical Society, 1984–86
- Senior Advisor in Basic Sciences, UNESCO, New Delhi, 1985–90
- University of Asia Pacific, Dhaka, 1995–96
- President, The Rajshahi University Teachers Association
- Provost, Abdul Latif Hall, Rajshahi University
- Senior Researcher, American Association for the Advancement of Science Washington D.C.
Chowdhury made pioneering contributions to the development of physical chemistry in the country, publishing more than 20 articles. He focused on cellulose fibers (of jute in particular), polyelectrolytes, and proteins. He also guided a number of PhD theses.
- "List of Fellows". Bangladesh Academy of Sciences.
- "About Us". Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.
- "Academic Member". Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.
- Murshed, Md Mahbub (2012). "Chowdhury, Fazlul Halim". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Vice Chancellors and Pro-Vice Chancellors list in order". University of Dhaka.
- "UAP Profile". University of Asia Pacific.