Feels So Good (Grover Washington Jr. album)
|Feels So Good|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||May & July 1975|
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs
|Grover Washington Jr. chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Feels So Good is the fifth album by jazz saxophonist Grover Washington Jr., recorded and released in 1975. The album topped both the soul and jazz albums charts and peaked at number ten on the pop album charts in the U.S.
Jason Ankeny of AllMusic stated "The aptly titled and much-sampled Feels So Good represents the creative apex of Grover Washington, Jr.'s sublime electric funk sound. Its shimmering, soulful grooves refute the argument that smooth jazz is little more than mere ambience, combining expert playing and intricate songwriting to create music that is both compelling and comforting. Arranger Bob James is in top form here, creating the spacious, rich milieus that are his trademark, but regardless of the name above the title, bassist Louis Johnson is the real star of the show. His supple rhythms percolate like coffee, adding oomph to the bottom of highlights "Hydra" and "Knucklehead" while Washington's cream-and-sugar soprano sax solos soar over the top".
- "The Sea Lion" – (Bob James) – 5:57
- "Moonstreams" – (Grover Washington Jr.) – 5:55
- "Knucklehead" – (Washington) – 7:53
- "It Feels So Good" – (Ralph MacDonald, William Salter) – 8:14
- "Hydra" – (Washington) – 9:08
- Grover Washington Jr. – tenor & soprano saxophone
- Bob James – piano, electric piano, synthesizer, arranger
- Gary King, Louis Johnson – bass
- Kenneth "Spider Webb" Rice, Steve Gadd – drums
- Eric Gale – guitar
- Ralph MacDonald – percussion
- Sid Weinberg – oboe, English horn
- John Frosk, Jon Faddis, Randy Brecker, Bob Millikan – trumpet, flugelhorn
- Alan Ralph, Dave Taylor – bass trombone
- Barry Rogers – trombone
- Charles McCracken, Seymour Barab – cello
- Alfred Brown, Manny Vardi – viola
- Barry Finclair, David Nadien, Emanuel Green, Guy Lumia, Harry Lookofsky, Lewis Eley, Max Ellen, Raoul Poliakin – violin
|Billboard Pop Albums||10|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||1|
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums||1|
- Ankeny, Jason. Grover Washington Jr.: Feels So Good > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 203. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- "Grover Washington Jr. US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.