Ferrovie Nord Milano
Ferrovie Nord Milano (FNM S.p.A.) is an Italian public transport company: the second largest railway company in Italy. It operates primarily in the northern Italian regions of Lombardy and Piedmont and in Canton Ticino in southern Switzerland. Listed on the Borsa Italiana, its main shareholders are the Lombardy Region (57.57%), Ferrovie dello Stato (14.5%) and Aurelia S.p.A. (3%).
The company was founded as Società Anonima Ferrovie Milano-Saronno e Milano-Erba in 1877 by the Belgian Albert Vaucamps. The Milan-Saronno railroad was inaugurated on March 22, 1879, while the Milan-Erba was opened later in December of the same year. In 1883 the company was rechristened Società Anonima per le Ferrovie Nord Milano (FNM). Five years later the consortium was joined by Società per le Ferrovie del Ticino, who held the Como-Malnate-Varese-Laveno and Saronno-Malnate lines. Until the end of the century FNM also acquired the lines Novara-Seregno and Saronno-Grandate, forming a large network in northern Lombardy in direct competition with the Società per le Strade Ferrate del Mediterraneo. When railways were nationalized in Italy, in 1907, Mediterranea acquired the shares of the Belgian owners.
Electrification of most lines began in 1929, and was completed in 1953. In 1958 passenger service was discontinued on the Saronno-Seregno line, while the Malnate-Grandate line was closed in 1966. In 1974 FNM, a joint stock company starting from 1943, was entirely acquired by the Lombardy regional government.
Two different companies, Ferrovie Nord Milano Esercizio and Ferrovie Nord Milano Autotrasporti, were created in 1985 with responsibilities for rail and road transport respectively. In 2004 the former was again split into two companies, Ferrovie Nord Cargo (for cargo services) and Ferrovie Nord Milano Trasporti (for the passenger one). In 2006 a new logo and new identities for three companies were adopted: Ferrovie Nord Milano Trasporti S.r.l. became LeNord S.r.l., Ferrovie Nord Milano Esercizio S.p.A. became FERROVIENORD S.p.A. and Ferrovie Nord Cargo S.r.l. became NordCargo S.r.l.. The whole group name became FNM S.p.A..
Locomotives & rolling stock
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2017)
- Caravaggio, expected to enter service in 2020
- Ferrovie Nord Milano Autoservizi. It hols public road transport in the province of Como, Varese and Val Camonica.
- Nord Ing S.r.l., engineering company
- NordCom S.p.A., provides informatics services for FNM companies and other public administrations
- Nordenergia S.p.A.. It produces electric energy.
- CargoClay, another rail cargo company (30% shared by Edicer)
- Sems S.r.l. Rents low environmental impact vehicles.
- VieNord S.r.l. Provides commercial and marketing services for the group's company.
- In 2016, in the computer-animated film, Thomas & Friends: The Great Race, one of the Ferrovie Nord Milano's locomotives is modeled for Gina.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ferrovie Nord Milano.|