File of Justice
The Files of Justice (壹號皇庭)is a series of Hong Kong legal drama produced by TVB. There were 5 seasons produced, the first was aired in 1992 spanning 13 episodes. The series revolves around a group of lawyers and legal personnel with stories interwoven between their personal lives and the court cases (usually one that involves murder) in which they’re engaged.
The first series was also noteworthy that first 2 murder cases in the first series ended in capital punishment because it was not abolished in Hong Kong until 1993, yet the last punishment carried out was back in 1966.
- Ben Yu – A successful prosecutor turned barrister and the protagonist of the series. Often humorous and charming, Ben is also occasionally the butt of jokes to his friends (especially to Michael) because of his tolerance and partly due to his clumsiness. He suffers from a crush for his colleague and fellow lawyer Michelle, who has rejected him on numerous occasions. He shares an apartment with his close friend Raymond and his cousin Man-Bun who is a police detective. Ben is played by Bobby Au Yeung.
- Michelle Ting – Ben’s colleague and love interest, a prosecutor. Michelle is an example of the modern day alpha female – headstrong, stubborn and no-nonsense. Initially, she is fairly cold towards Ben’s attempt at wooing her, finding them to be childish and annoying. However, as time goes on, she gradually sees his affection for her to be genuine and accepts him in return. She was Henry Lee's concubine. Michelle is played by Amy Chan.
- Michael Kong – A paralegal advisor who is best friend to Ben Yu and Raymond Chow. Amongst the group, Michael is shown to be the manipulative and mischievous one. He is sometimes slightly immature and rather cocky and at most times who takes joy in messing around with Ben and Raymond. He works for his widowed mother’s law firm and helps her and his sister Helen in handling their cases. Despite his smart alec personality, he does have a kind hearted side and is willing to help those who are less privileged. Michael Kong is played by Michael Tao.
- Helen Kong – Michael’s younger sister who is also a lawyer at their mother’s firm, a barrister. Beautiful and intelligent, Helen has a strong work ethic and wisdom beyond her year when it comes to court case matters. She briefly dated Ben’s cousin Man-Bun but soon separated due to personal differences. Helen is played by Eugina Lau.
- Raymond Chow – A close friend to Ben and Michael who also works at Michael’s law firm. Generally friendly and good-natured, Raymond is also a man who takes himself too seriously and is far less humorous than his peers. Moralistic and timid, he often disapproves of Michael’s immature ways of handling situations. He is also an occasional victim of Ben’s crazy schemes when he is attempting to hook-up with Michelle. Raymond is Played by William So.
- Bobby Au Yeung as Ben Yu Choi-chun (余在春)
- Michael Tao as Michael Kong Shing-yu (江承宇)
- William So as Raymond Chow Chi-fai (周志輝)
- Felix Lok as Chow Man-bun (周文彬)
- Amy Chan as Michelle Ting Yau (丁柔)
- Jessica Hsuan as Samantha Ching Yeuk-fai (程若暉)
- Eugina Lau as Helen Kong Shing-chau (江承宙)
- Sheren Tang as Joyce Yan Tsz-kit (殷芷傑)
- Flora Chan as Catherine Au Tsz-keung (歐子強)
- Ada Choi as Lee Tung (李彤)
- Astrid Chan as Rachel Ching Yeuk-hei (程若曦)
- Soh Hang-suen as Lora Kong Lee Chung-wan (江李頌雲)
- Chor Yuen as Victor Ching Lok-tin (程樂天)
- Bowie Lam as Joe Li Sai-wang (李世宏) / Kelvin Fong Wai-ho (方偉豪)
- Steven Ma as Stephen Chan Cheuk-yiu (陳卓堯)
- Lawrence Ng as Alex Tsui Wai-kit (徐偉傑)
- Yvonne Lam as Doris Lam Hok-yee (林學宜)
- Ram Chiang as Eric Chow Siu-chung (周少聰)
- Wayne Lai as Anthony Yau Wing-kin (邱永健)
- Patrick Tam as Chris Yau Wing-hong (邱永康)
- Eileen Yeow as Eva Chiu Lai-ying (趙麗瑩)
- Faye Wong as Mandy Tong Yuk-man (唐毓文)
- Sammi Cheng / Wallis Pang as Josephine Fong Ka-kei (方家琪)
- Bessie Chan as Jessica Kwan Ching (關靜)
- Iwanbeo Leung as Queenie Tong Tsz-shan (湯芷珊) / Susan Tong Tsz-kei (湯芷琪)
- Joyce Koi as Stephanie Kwai Yuk-kiu (夔彧藠)
- Patrick Dunn as Henry Lee Kwok-chu (李國柱)
- Hong Chao Feng / Dickson Li as Jeff Cheung Ka-yin (張家賢)
- Chen Xiaoyun as Jenny Lai Ka-yui (黎家蕊)
- Rajesh Chaudhari (2015-10-30), Capital punishment in Hong Kong Top # 5 Facts, retrieved 2018-01-07