The mainstreet of Fjerritslev.
Motto(s): Jammerbugt's nicest trading town(Danish: Jammerbugtens hyggeligste handelsby)
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (CEST)|
Until 1 January 2007, Fjerritslev was the municipal seat of the former Fjerritslev Municipality.
Fjerritslev is mentioned in 1552 under the name Fierittzløff, and has probably emerged as a medieval village.
In 1682, Fjerritslev had 20 farms and 14 houses with land, a total of 416.1 tonnes of land cultivated, it was then Kollerup parish's largest village. The cultivation form was grassland without poultry. In the 1830s, the road was built from Nørresundby to Thisted, thus initiating the development of the site: Kollerup Inn was moved here, a post office was established, and the city became the focal point for Nørresundby-Thisted and Fjerritslev-Aggersund dilution routes. Around 1875, the place had the post office, the telegraph station, the steam boiler and the inn. In 1887, a school, 1888, was established as a cooperative dairy. By the turn of the century, the town had boys and girls' schools, realskole, county hospital (1893-94, 18 beds), pharmacy (established in 1824 in Kettrup]] moved to the city in 1898), district farmhouse, Fjerritslev Bank (established 1899), mission house (3 markets, in March, July and October), railway and telegraph station and a post office.
The municipality covered an area of 290 km², and had a total population of 8,480 (2005) with the town of Fjerritslev as the municipal seat. Its last mayor was Otto Kjær Larsen, a member of the Venstre (Liberal Party) political party.
It ceased to exist as the result of Kommunalreformen ("The Municipality Reform" of 2007). It was merged with Brovst Municipality, Pandrup Municipality, and Aabybro Municipality to form the new Jammerbugt Municipality.
Coat of Arms
The rooster on the fleur-de-lis is taken from the arms of the former Han herred. The rooster also symbolises strength, and, together with the sun, optimism and a glorious future. It is also the coat of arm of the former Fjerritslev Municipality.
- Rikke Nielsen (born 1977 in Fjerritslev) a former Danish handballer. She played for Aalborg DH, HC Leipzig and played 54 national games and scored 68 goals.
- BEF44: Population 1st January, by urban areas database from Statistics Denmark
- J. P. Trap. "Kongeriget Danmark / 2. Udgave 5. Deel. Amterne Hjørring, Thisted, Aalborg, Viborg og Randers / 115". Runeberg.
- J. P. Trap. "Kongeriget Danmark / 3. Udgave 4. Bind : Hjørring, Thisted, Aalborg, Viborg og Randers Amter / 217". Runeberg.
- "Fjerritslev". Heraldry wiki.
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data).
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map.