Floyd Central High School (Indiana)
|Floyd Central High School|
6575 Old Vincennes Road|
Floyds Knobs, Floyd County, Indiana 47119
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Rob Willman|
|Athletics||Soccer, Golf, Tennis, Cross Country, Track and Field, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling, Volleyball, Swimming, Diving, Cheerleading|
|Rival||New Albany High School|
Floyd Central High School is a public high school in the New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation and is located in Southern Indiana, in Floyds Knobs, an unincorporated area in Floyd County, Indiana.
The school was built in 1967 and has had many expansions since then, including an auditorium. The school was formerly called "Floyd Central Junior-Senior High School" until the opening of Highland Hills Middle School in 2004.
The girls' cross country team is the most decorated, with four state titles from 1989 through 1992. The boys cross country team won the state championship in 1991. Boys golf took state in 2005-06 and 2006-07. Boys basketball has made 2 appearances in the state finals, in 1971 with the "Superhicks" and in 1989 with Indiana Mr. Basketball and Trestor Award Winner Pat Graham.
Floyd Central Theater was recognized in 2007 by the Educational Theater Association as one of the top five theater programs in the nation. They have also received four invitations to represent Indiana at The International Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland have been received. In the 2017-2018 school year the theatre program was asked by The Walt Disney Company to produce a demo version of the hit Broadway musical Newsies to see how they could make the Broadway play work for a high school production. The Acappella Choir won the ISSMA State Championship in 2015, and has been a state finalist almost all years in recent decades. The orchestra won the 1995 and 2017 ISSMA State Championships and received fifth place at the 2018 ISSMA state championship. The orchestra also has qualified for the ISSMA state finals 29 years in a row. In addition to marching and symphonic band, Floyd Central has a volunteer pep band to play at basketball games, a jazz ensemble, and strong winter percussion/winter guard programs. The music department as a whole has been nationally recognized twice as a Grammy School, being designated as a Grammy Signature Gold Award School in 1998-1999 and as a Grammy Signature School in 2002. The school also operates WNAS-TV and WNAS-FM, in cooperation with New Albany High School.
- "Floyd Central High School". Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Floyd Central High School District Map (Archive). New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation. Retrieved on April 9, 2015.
- "Floyd Central High School - Verkler, Incorporated - General Contractor and Construction Management Services". verkler.com. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Joe Hinton Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame". hoopshall.com. Retrieved 2 August 2016. Both teams were coached by Indiana Basketball Hall of Famer Joe Hinton
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Awards". schooltheatre.org. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Broken legs, killed audiences: Chris Bundy and David Longest end their momentous careers with theater programs". News and Tribune. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "They Are The Champions". newsandtribune.com. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- "Indiana State School Music Association". issma.net. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "120 U.S. High Schools in the Running for Grants for Music Excellence". The GRAMMYs. Retrieved 3 May 2015.