Football Index, founded by Adam Cole, is a UK-licensed and regulated gambling platform, sometimes known as the Football Stockmarket or simply The Index, that allows football enthusiasts to gamble on the future success of football players. Traders place fixed-odds bets, known as Shares, for the chance to win daily payouts - or Dividends. Dividends are calculated based on player performances on match days, their media presence and the number of goals and assists they get (Goalkeepers receive In-Play Dividends for clean-sheets).
BetIndex Ltd launched Football Index in October 2015 as a platform to gamble on football players. The stock exchange cap called 'The Footie' started with the launch of the platform on 2 October 2015 with a base value of 1,000 points. A Trader's portfolio can range from £10 to £1,000,000, and 2% is charged as commission on sales. In January 2018, Football Index reached 100k users. The company now plans to expand to Sweden and Canada.
The company is owned by Fame Ventures who hold the software license for Football Index.
Footballers value can rise and fall based on supply and demand. In-demand footballers (those in form and in the media) will become more valuable, whilst the value of footballers on downwards trajectories will reflect their fall. Traders build a portfolio to capitalise on footballers' form and earn Dividends based on their future media attention and performances.
In November 2018, Football Index added In-Play dividends which are valid for the first 30 days that Traders own a share. Footballers receive 2p per Goal for a Forward or Midfielder, 3p per Goal by a Defender or Goalkeeper, 1p per Assist by any position, 2p for a Starting Goalkeeper Clean Sheet over the full game.
There is a Top 200 list of footballers from the top five leagues in Europe (the Premier League, La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1) whose value is driven by demand for their shares on the platform. These footballers are eligible for both Media & Performance Dividends, all other footballers listed are only eligible for Performance Dividends. In total there are in excess of 2,500 footballers listed at prices ranging from less than £1 to over £10. In January 2019, Neymar became the first footballer to break £20 per share.
An announcement in March 2019 revealed the Top 200 would open up to allow all footballers on the Index to win Media Dividends. The change will take place as of the start of the 2019-20 season.
The Instant Sell feature was added to sell shares instantly, but with lower returns.
The Football Index Community
The Football Index community is made up of thousands of Traders with varying levels of involvement. Traders are invited to converse about Football Index through the Football Index Forum - an active hub for discussion on trading with over 45,000 posts. The company run popular social media accounts across all of the main social channels - primarily informing Traders about industry news through Twitter and Instagram.
An in-depth training resource - The Academy - is available to new and existing Football Index Traders. It contains descriptions of the platform's rules and mechanics, plus tactics and strategies designed to enhance Trader portfolios. Weekly blogs from a host of football writers deliver the community news and opinions.
The community is kept busy and involved through regular Trader meets, competitions and online interaction.
Advertising and Marketing
John Motson was unveiled in August 2018 as the voice of Football Index. The iconic football commentator will be heard on Football Index national TV and radio adverts for the 2018/19 football season.
Guillem Balague was unveiled in September 2018 as a brand ambassador for Football Index. A regular pundit for Sky Sports, Balague adds his knowledge and expertise of La Liga and the wider football world to the company. His role at Football Index includes hosting trader events, producing regular, exclusive blogs and videos and appearing on FITV.
He also founded MyVillage network, a website that lists local restaurants, bars and services in the whole of the UK.
- Mirror.co.uk (2015-12-03). "The insights from the football stockmarket". mirror. Retrieved 2018-05-27.[dead link]
- "Tottenham target on the rise on Football INDEX". www.whoscored.com. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "What is Football Index | Football Index". Football Index Academy. 2018-04-11. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- "What is a dividend | Football Index". Football Index Academy. 2018-04-11. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- "BetIndex launches football stock market". InterGame: iGaming, Casino & Coin-Op News. 2015-10-07. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Football Index referral code & advice on how football stock market works". Profit Accumulator. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- Streeter, Joseph (2018-02-27). "Football INDEX announces geographical expansion". TotallyGaming.com. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football INDEX expands into new markets". SBC News. 2018-02-28. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football INDEX - A Stock Market Like Never Before". Matched Betting Basics. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Soccer Player Stock Exchange Expands Into Sweden And Canada". Online Gambling Sites. 2018-03-12. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football INDEX expands sports betting in Sweden and Canada". LeapRate. 2018-02-28. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football INDEX Partners Gold-i to Offer Tradable Football Market via MetaTrader | Finance Magnates". Finance Magnates | Financial and business news. 2016-12-08. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- Company, Digital Parent. "Football INDEX partners with Gold-i". Gold-i. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football Index over halfway home on Seedrs crowdfunding bid". SBC News. 2016-04-05. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "What is Football Index | Football Index". Football Index Academy. 2018-04-11. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Irishmirror.ie (2015-12-03). "The insights from the football stockmarket". irishmirror. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Product Profile – Football INDEX". CalvinAyre.com. 2017-08-08. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football Index: 3 first-hand tips to keep you in profit in the game's first stockmarket". Squawka Football News. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "In-Play Dividends | Football Index". Football Index Academy. 2018-12-03. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Football INDEX - Buy & Sell Footballers with real money on the Football Stockmarket". trade.footballindex.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "We talk to Football INDEX founder - The Gambling Times". The Gambling Times. 2017-04-26. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football Index comes to Fantasy Football Geek". www.fantasyfootballgeek.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football INDEX -Short Report- | All Street". www.allstreet.org. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- Hall, Joe (2015-10-07). "First "football stock exchange" launched in UK". Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- Football Index - Official Channel (2019-01-22), Neymar - The First Ever £20 Player, retrieved 2019-03-12
- "Football INDEX | Buy & Sell Footballers on the First Football Stock Market". Matched Betting Forums. 2017-07-30. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- Streeter, Joseph (2018-01-23). "Football INDEX reaches 100,000 UK traders". TotallyGaming.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Home". Football Index Forum. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Football Index (@FootballIndexUK) | Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Football Index (@footballindexuk) • Instagram photos and videos". www.instagram.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Football Index - Official Channel". YouTube. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Academy | Football Index". Football Index Academy. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Pro gambler with £100k invested talks Football Index - An Interview with @IndexBig". IndexGain. 2018-06-18. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Football INDEX | Iconic commentator confirmed as voice of Football Index | SBCnews". Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Guillem Balague Joins Football Index". Football INDEX News. 2018-09-20. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "Football INDEX unveiled as main sponsor of Bristol Rovers FC". SBC News. 2018-07-23. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "Adam Cole (@AdamColeFI) | Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "Football INDEX | Shining the Spotlight | The Good Web Guide". Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "RSNG | When The Founder Of The Football Index Set Out To Disrupt A £17bn Market He Took A Big Gamble". www.rsng.com. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "Football Index raises £400,000 in Seedrs crowd-funding campaign". iGaming Business. 2016-04-06. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Update: Football INDEX Captures Over £1M Through Seedrs Initiative | Crowdfund Insider". Crowdfund Insider. 2016-05-18. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Football INDEX". www.seedrs.com. Retrieved 2019-01-30.