This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Forest Sun live in concert
August 6, 1973 |
Glens Falls, New York, United States
|Instruments||Voice, guitar, piano, drums, ukulele, resonator guitar|
|Labels||Painted Sun Records|
In 1999, Forest Sun created the independent record label, Painted Sun Records, and released his first album, Not Afraid. The following year he released Plenty, in San Francisco, California. AllMusic noted that "in these ten small gems, Sun offers the Muse the gift of his voice to write and sing though. Traces of rock & roll's past, present, and hopefully future mingle with progressive folk music, textured, moody pop, and a healthy sense of literary finesse." In 2002, Forest Sun performed at the Strawberry Music Festival, and Shoreline Amphitheatre, opening for Bonnie Raitt and Lyle Lovett. In 2003, he performed at the Concord Pavilion opening for Jackson Browne, Keb Mo, and Steve Earle.
For The Story (2003) was again commmented on my AllMusic noting "The highlight is the album's centerpiece track, "Always," a jazzy piano-based shuffle featuring guest vocals by the Be Good Tanyas' Jolie Holland." He later hosted Songbird Radio on KWMR in Point Reyes Station, California. In 2005, he played at the Mountain Winery, opening for the Beach Boys. Walk Through Walls was released on May 13, 2005.
In 2008, prompted by his mother's battle with cancer, Forest Sun began a benefit project to support people with cancer and their families by hosting benefit concerts in Santa Fe, New Mexico, which led to producing compilation albums called Songs for Laura. These albums brought together over forty artists such as Sean Hayes, Animal Liberation Orchestra, Brett Dennen, Matt the Electrician, Tom Freund, Danny Schmidt, Anais Mitchell, The Mammals and Devon Sproule. So Nice and Harlequin Goodnight, featuring songs with ALO and Sean Hayes, were issued in 2008. The following year, Forest Sun added the musical collaboration of Ingrid Serban and the two begin to tour as a duo.
Forest Sun released his first children's album, Just for Fun (2010), which was a collection of original songs and Americana classics such as "You Are My Sunshine," and "Polly Wolly Doodle". The recordings featured members of Marley's Ghost and Ingrid Serban. In 2012, Forest Sun released Just Begun. The album featured Tucsonian musicians such as Winston Watson, drummer for Bob Dylan and Lenny Kravitz, Jacob Valenzuela, trumpet player for Calexico, and was recorded in Tucson, Arizona, at the Wavelab Studios.
|2003||For The Story|
|2005||Walk Through Walls|
|2006||Dancing Again (Japanese release on Buffalo Records)|
|2008||Songs for Laura|
|2009||Songs for Laura Volume 2|
|2010||Just for Fun|
- "Who is Forest Sun?". Omnilexica.com. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Not Afraid by Forest Sun on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Forest Sun on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- Thom Jurek. "Plenty - Forest Sun | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Forest Sun : Thursday, August 29, 2002 at 6:30PM - Main Stage". Beta.strawberrymusic.com. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- Stewart Mason (2004-01-06). "For the Story - Forest Sun | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Walk Through Walls - Forest Sun | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. 2005-05-13. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Songs for Laura, Vol. 1 - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "So Nice - Forest Sun | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. 2008-03-20. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Harlequin Goodnight - Forest Sun | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. 2008-03-10. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Just For Fun - Forest Sun | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-03-03.