Forge Park/495 station
Forge Park/495 station in May 2017
|Location||1000 West Central Street|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||GATRA Bellingham T shuttles|
|Parking||716 spaces ($4.00 fee)|
15 accessible spaces
|Bicycle facilities||14 spaces|
|Opened||June 2, 1988|
|Passengers (2013)||747 (weekday average boardings)|
Forge Park/495 is an MBTA Commuter Rail station in Franklin, Massachusetts. It is the terminus of the Franklin Line. It is located near I-495 and Route 140; it serves as a park-and-ride station for Franklin and other communities southwest of Boston.
The station has two side platforms serving a single track - a layout unique on the MBTA system. This allows passengers to access trains from the parking lots on both sides of the track. A mini-high platform on the south platform makes the station handicapped accessible.
The station opened on June 2, 1988 as a 2.8-mile (4.5 km) extension of the Franklin Line from Franklin/Dean College station. It is located not on the former Norfolk County Railroad mainline (which became the Franklin Line), but on the Milford and Woonsocket Railroad which splits from the mainline south of downtown Franklin. Although still an active freight line, the branch had not seen passenger traffic since 1940. The MBTA leased the branch from Conrail for the extension, with the possibility of future purchase. The developer of the adjacent Forge Park industrial park donated 8 acres (3.2 ha) of land to build parking lots for the station.
- North Bellingham T Shuttle
- South Bellingham T Shuttle
- Belcher, Jonathan (November 21, 2016). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district 1964-2016" (PDF). NETransit.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14th ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014.
- Held, Patrick R. (2010). "Massachusetts Bay Colony Railroad Track Charts" (PDF). Johns Hopkins Association for Computing Machinery. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 October 2013.
- Howe, Peter J. (June 2, 1988). "FRANKLIN MBTA OPENS NEW STATION SERVICE SLATED TO BEGIN TODAY; 700 PARKING SPACES PLANNED". Boston Globe.
- Karr, Ronald Dale (1995). The Rail Lines of Southern New England. Branch Line Press. pp. 304–306. ISBN 0942147022.
- "Bellingham T Shuttles". Greater Attleboro Taunton Regional Transit Authority.
Media related to Forge Park/495 station at Wikimedia Commons