|Developer(s)||Fork Particle, Inc.|
|Operating system||Windows, Xbox One Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Mac, Linux|
|Website||Fork Particle Official Website|
Fork Particle is a computer graphics visual effects modeling and software development kit (SDK) developed and sold by Fork Particle, Inc. Fork Particle uses its real time particle system technology to simulate visual effects or particle effects such as CGI explosions, fire, rain, smoke, dust, etc. Fork Particle is used in video games and visual simulation software such as a flight simulator. It has been licensed to game developers for PC, Apple Mac, Linux, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
Notable Fork Particle licensees include Ubisoft, Trickstar Games, Firaxis Games, ZeniMax Online Studios,Electronic Arts, Microsoft, LEGO, and Sony. Video games that have utilized Fork Particle’s technology include Elder Scrolls Online, Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth, Rocksmith 2014 Edition, Empire Earth III, LEGO Universe, Splosion Man, and Sid Meier's Civilization V.
Fork Particle SDK
Fork Particle's real time technology component or particle engine is meant to be integrated and used with a video game engine or computer graphics engine. Particle effects are authored by VFX artists or designers using Fork Particle’s effects modeling tool and then brought into the user’s 3D computer graphics environment or 2D computer graphics environment where these particle effects are simulated by Fork Particle’s engine in real time and displayed by the user application’s graphics engine.
The Fork Particle SDK includes these components: real time particle engine (Fork Runtime SDK), particle editor or modeling tool (Fork Particle Studio), live update for in application particle effects editing (Fork Live Tuner), and particle effects definitions batch file exporter.
Fork Particle also includes incorporation or integrations with partner technologies:
- Microsoft Xbox One
- Microsoft Xbox 360
- Sony PlayStation 4
- Sony PlayStation 3
- Havok Physics,
- Havok Vision Engine
- Emergent Gamebryo LightSpeed
- Perforce SCM
- Autodesk FBX
- NVidia PhysX
- Intel (Multi-core processor support)
- "Ubisoft® Selects Fork Particle Effects Technology For Electrifying Visuals In Rocksmith® 2014 Edition". Gamasutra. UBM plc. March 5, 2015. Retrieved November 27, 2016.
- Dobson, Jason (August 1, 2007). "Fork Particle Joins Xbox 360 Tools & Middleware Program". Gamasutra. UBM plc. Retrieved November 27, 2016.
- "Trickstar Games Adopts Particle Effects Middleware Technology by Fork Particle". Gamasutra. UBM plc. May 18, 2011. Retrieved November 27, 2016.
- Remo, Chris (March 15, 2010). "ZeniMax Online Adopts Fork Particle Tech For MMO". Gamasutra. UBM plc. Retrieved November 27, 2016.
- Caoili, Eric (October 6, 2010). "Firaxis Using Fork Particle Toolset For Civ V's Visual Effects". Gamasutra. UBM plc. Retrieved November 27, 2016.
- "Trinigy Integrates Fork Particle Effects Into Vision Engine". Gamasutra. UBM plc. January 27, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Fork Particle Official Website – news, updates, screenshots, and information about Fork Particle
- Develop Online feature article on Fork Particle – “Particle effects middleware Fork Particle is all about making the most of your game’s big events…”
- Develop Magazine feature article on Fork Particle – “TOOLS SPOTLIGHT” (page 50-51)
- Firaxis Civilization V news article – “Firaxis Using Fork Particle Toolset For Civ V's Visual Effects” by Eric Caoili
|This graphics software–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|