National University of Rwanda|
(Bachelor of Public Administration)
Irish American University
(Master of International Relations)
|Occupation||Politician, public administrator|
|Years active||2003 — present|
|Known for||Public service|
|Title||Cabinet Minister of Local Government in the Rwandan Cabinet|
Francis Kaboneka, is a Rwandan public administrator and politician. He is the Cabinet Minister of Local Government in the Rwandan cabinet. He has served in that role, since 24 July 2014. In the cabinet reshuffle of 31 August 2017, he was retained in cabinet and he retained his portfolio.
Background and education
He was born in Rwanda and attended local schools for his pre-university education. He holds a Bachelor of Public Administration obtained from the National University of Rwanda. His Master of International Relations was awarded by the Irish American University in Dublin, Ireland.
In 2003, he served as the executive secretary of National Youth Council. For a period of eleven years, from 2003 until 2014, he was a member of parliament. While in parliament, from 2003 until 2008, he served on the Agriculture and Environment Standing Committee, and from 2008 until 2014, he was a member of the Foreign Affairs, Cooperation and Security Standing Committee.
In his capacity as the minister of local government, Francis Kaboneka encourages local leaders to focus on the needs of ordinary people by listening and attending to their needs. He promotes national unity by urging Rwandans to focus on what they share in common and downplay their differences.
- Minaloc (24 July 2014). "Minaloc Gets A New Minister, Honorable Francis Kaboneka". Kigali: Rwanda Ministry of Local Government (Minaloc). Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- Kimenyi, Felly (31 August 2017). "Rwanda gets new Cabinet, who is in?". New Times (Rwanda). Kigali. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- Kwibuka, Eugene (March 22, 2015). "Local government mirror of good governance - Kaboneka". New Times (Rwanda). Kigali. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- UR (30 May 2015). "Let us stand united to defend the dignity of our nation Rwanda - Minister Francis Kaboneka tells students". Kigali: University of Rwanda (UR). Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Minaloc (24 July 2014). "Republic of Rwanda: Ministry of Local Government: Roles and Responsibilities of the Minister". Kigali: Rwanda Ministry of Local Government (Minaloc). Retrieved 6 September 2017.