Francisco Alves Albino
|Full name||Francisco Alves Albino|
|Date of birth||2 November 1912|
|Place of birth||Tortosendo, Serra da Estrela, Portugal|
|Date of death||25 February 1993(aged 80)|
|Place of death||Lisbon, Portugal|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
A slender, but hard-working footballer; at 20 years old, manager Ribeiro dos Reis gave him, a opportunity with the first team, when they faced Braga Regional team in a friendly on 26 December 1932. His official debut came twelve days later, in a home win against F.C. Barreirense.
Over the next decade, he assumed a vital role in the midfield of Benfica, first at the right, and later at the middle, playing side by side with Gaspar Pinto and Francisco Ferreira. His teammates nicknamed him Tempero (seasoning) because of his trademark quote — Quando é que vem o tempero? (When does the seasoning arrive?) — in reference to the prize money awarded for wins.
He played his last match on 8 April 1945 in a five-nil trashing of Vitória de Guimarães, after well over 300 official games, and with six championship's won. For his dedication, the club awarded him with the Sócio de Mérito (Merit Member) and Águia de Prata (Silver Eagle).
- Primeira Divisão (6): 1935–36, 1936–37, 1937–38, 1941–42, 1942–43, 1944–45
- Taça de Portugal: 1939–40, 1942–43, 1943–44
- Campeonato de Portugal: 1934–35
- Campeonato de Lisboa: 1932–33, 1939–40
- Tovar 2012, p. 681.
- Tovar 2012, p. 127-194.
- "Francisco Albino". Serbenfiquista.com.
- "Nº230 - Albino". Vedeta ou Marreta. 6 October 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Portugal 3-3 Spain". EU-football.info.
- "Portugal 2-4 Switzerland". EU-football.info.
- "Bicampeões para a história" [Back-to-back champions to history]. Visão (in Portuguese) (Portugal: Impresa Publishing): 40. May 2015. ISSN 0872-3540.
- Francisco Albino – FIFA competition record
- Francisco Alves Albino profile at ForaDeJogo
- Stats at Eu-football
|This biographical article related to a Portuguese association football midfielder is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|