Franco van der Merwe
|Date of birth||15 March 1983|
|Place of birth||Paarl, South Africa|
|Height||1.98 m (6 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||116 kg (18 st 4 lb; 256 lb)|
|School||Hartswater High School|
|Rugby union career|
Franco van der Merwe (born 15 March 1983 in Paarl) is a South African rugby union footballer. His regular playing position is lock, although he can also operate as a flanker. Currently a free agent, van der Merwe was signed by Pro14 side Cardiff Blues for the 2017 season, however on August 1st 2017 he was released by the club due to club based "financial challenges'. Previous clubs include Irish side Ulster in the Pro12, the Lions in Super Rugby and the Leopards and the Golden Lions in the Currie Cup.
On 18th August 2017, he was named amongst the replacemments at a pre season friendly game for London Irish against Ealing on a club trial.
- "Van der Merwe released by Cardiff Blues". Planet Rugby. 1 August 2017. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "Lions to confirm mass exodus". Sport24. 3 October 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "All Blacks break Springboks' hearts in epic". ESPN. 5 October 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Franco replaces Johann at Ulster". Rugby365. 24 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "SA Rugby Player Profile – Franco van der Merwe". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- Lions profile
- itsrugby.co.uk profile
|This South Africa rugby union biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|