Fred Allen (set designer)
Born in Halifax, Allen never knew his birth mother, but was adopted and raised by Gwendolyn Poole of Wolfville, Nova Scotia until Poole's death when Allen was 11, after which he was raised by Poole's daughter in Stewiacke, Nova Scotia.
Allen began his career in 1962 as a set designer for Neptune Theatre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He designed and built sets for many television shows such as Codco, Streets Cents, and Blizzard Island as well as for feature films and for Parks Canada and the Nova Scotia International Tattoo but is most famous as the creator of the models and sets for the popular children's television series Theodore Tugboat as well as the vessel Theodore Too.
- "The Truro Daily News - Columns - Falle, McCallum, Allen enjoyed roles as vikings". TruroDaily.com. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Elissa Bernard, "Allen leaves Mark on TV, Stage, Films", Halifax Chronicle Herald, Dec. 15, 2007
- "ALTS.net - History of Nova Scotia, 2000 March 1–19 - Theodore Tugboat". ALTS.net. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "TVAcres.com - Boats - Barges & Tugboats - Theodore Tugboat". TVAcres.com. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- Andy Pederson, "Master Mariner: Fred Allen's Theodore Tugboat Models are Enthralling Kids in 70 Countries", Atlantic Progress Magazine Vol. 6, No. 4 (May 1999) p. 70-71,