|Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly
for Belfast North
25 June 1998 – 2011
|Preceded by||New Creation|
|Succeeded by||Paula Bradley|
|Born||30 April 1946|
|Political party||Democratic Unionist Party (Ulster Unionist Party until 2012)|
Cobain was first elected to Belfast City Council in 1985. He served as Lord Mayor of Belfast in 1990-1991. In 1996 he was an unsuccessful candidate in the Northern Ireland Forum election in North Belfast. He had been an Ulster Unionist Party Northern Ireland Assembly Member for North Belfast since 1998.
After the Christmas 2010 water crisis, Cobain supported a vote of no confidence in Regional Development Minister Conor Murphy, saying "At the end of the day in all of these issues the individual who leads the department is responsible and I have to say if this was any other part of the UK, or any other part of these islands, the minister would have been away weeks ago...This minister doesn't appear to accept any responsibility for anything."
On 14 January 2013, Fred Cobain left the Ulster Unionist party which he had served for more than 30 years. He joined the Democratic Unionist Party saying the UUP was "riven with personal and policy divisions" and was "politically exhausted". Cobain was co-opted on to Carrickfergus Borough Council as a councillor for the Carrick Castle area. He ran for the DUP but failed to be elected to the Mid and East Antrim Borough Council in the May 2014 Elections.
He is married and has two children.
- Northern Ireland elections
- Northern Ireland Assembly Information Office (2003-11-26). "N.I. Assembly website". Niassembly.gov.uk. Retrieved 2010-04-20.
- "Our People - Fred Cobain MLA". Northern Ireland Policing Board. Archived from the original on 2006-08-19. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
This is Mr Cobain’s second term on the Board
- "BBC News - Gregory Campbell backs Conor Murphy no confidence vote". BBC News Online. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "BBC News - Fred Cobain leaves UUP and joins DUP". BBC News Online. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- McBride, Sam (2013-12-19). "DUP councillor David Hilditch gives seat to defector Fred Cobain". The News Letter. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "Councillor Fred Cobain". Carrickfergus Borough Council. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- Whyte, Nicholas (16 November 2014). "Mid and East Antrim District Council Elections, 2014". Northern Ireland Social and Political Archive. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
Sir Reg Empey
|Lord Mayor of Belfast
1990 - 91
|Northern Ireland Assembly|
|MLA for Belfast North
1998 - 2011
|This biographical article about a mayor in Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|