Fred McLeod (sportscaster)
NBA play-by-play announcer
Fred McLeod (born 1952 in Strongsville, Ohio) is an American sportscaster who currently serves as the executive producer of multimedia, and television play-by-play announcer for the Cleveland Cavaliers of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
McLeod was born and grew up in the Cleveland suburb of Strongsville. During his sophomore year in high school, McLeod and his family moved to the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, area, where he finished high school and attended college, graduating from Point Park College where he was a pitcher on the baseball team, reaching the NAIA College World Series.
In the late 1970s, he returned to Cleveland when he was hired by WJKW-TV 8 as a weekend sports presenter, and also providing play-by-play commentary for WJKW's coverage of Cleveland Indians' games during the 1979 season. McLeod later moved to KPIX-TV in San Francisco, where he was a sports presenter as well as play-by-play commentator for the Oakland Athletics.
In 1982, McLeod moved to Detroit, Michigan, where he became a sportscaster for WJBK and later with WDIV, and in 1984 became a television play-by-play announcer for the NBA's Detroit Pistons, a position he held until 2006.
- Right down Euclid! - when a Cavaliers player drives down the lane to the basket
- ____ says "I got your back!" - when a Cavaliers player grabs an offensive rebound and puts the ball in the hoop
- Sweaty palms time - during the closing minutes of tight games
- The bottom! - when a Cavaliers player hits a three-pointer
- Shakin' the lake! - after a powerful slam dunk by LeBron James
- A wine and gold winner - immediately after the final horn of a Cavaliers win
- Good night ____, we'll let ourselves out! - when the Cavaliers win a road game
Awards and honors
- 2014 Lower Great Lakes Emmy Award recipient - Sporting Event/Game Coverage (as a member of Fox Sports Ohio's Cavaliers broadcast team)