FreeFileSync 6.7 running on Windows 8.1
|Initial release||August 2008|
10.15 / August 15, 2019
|Operating system||Windows, Linux, macOS|
|Type||File synchronization utility|
FreeFileSync is a free and open-source program used for file synchronization. It is available on Windows, Linux and OS X. The project is backed by donations. Donors get a few additional features such as an auto-updater, parallel sync, portable version, and silent installation.
FreeFileSync works by comparing one or multiple folders on their content, date or file size and subsequently synchronizing the content according to user-defined settings. In addition to supporting local file systems and network shares, FreeFileSync is able to sync to FTP, FTPS, SFTP and MTP devices.
Latest release compatible with Mac OS X 10.7.5 is FreeFileSync_8.4_Mac_OS_X https://freefilesync.org/archive.php
- Comparison of file hosting services
- Comparison of file synchronization software
- Comparison of online backup services
- "FAQ: Donation Edition". freefilesync.org.
- Akerlund, Geoff (10 March 2014), FreeFileSync comes bundled with the OpenCandy malware, and there’s no option to not install it., Backup Review, retrieved 2 February 2018
- Richards, Gizmo (16 April 2017), Controversial Advertising Program Now Being Embedded in More Software, Tech Support Alert, retrieved 2 February 2018
- PUP.Optional.OpenCandy, Malwarebytes, retrieved 3 February 2018
- OpenCandy, Sophos, retrieved 3 February 2018
- ADW_OPENCANDY, Trend Micro, retrieved 3 February 2018
- Virustotal analyses of OpenCandy, Virus Total, retrieved 3 February 2018
- Brinkmann, Martin (3 May 2018). "FreeFileSync 10.0 updates removes ads from installer". ghacks.net. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "My virus scanner/firewall shows a scary warning. Is there a virus, malware, or trojan?". freefilesync.org.
- "FreeFileSync editors' review". CNET.com.