|Look up free state or free states in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Free state may refer to:
- Free State (province), a province of the Republic of South Africa
- Free State of Galveston, nickname used to refer to the island of Galveston, Texas during the early–mid 20th century
- A nickname for the U.S. state of Kansas, because of the state's anti-slavery movement during the American Civil War
- Maryland, a U.S. state nicknamed "The Free State"
- Slave states and free states, in the United States before the American Civil War, a "free state" was one in which the owning of slaves was not legal
- Free state (government), occasionally used in official titles emphasizing the freedom of the state
- Congo Free State, a government privately controlled by Leopold II, King of the Belgians through the Association internationale africaine
- Free State of Fiume, an independent free state which existed between 1920 and 1924
- Irish Free State, the state established as a Dominion on 6 December 1922 under the Anglo-Irish Treaty
- Orange Free State, a Boer republic and later province of South Africa, that became the present-day Free State province
- German States' adopted designation after the abolition of monarchy in the aftermath of World War I:
- Free State of Anhalt, formed after Joachim Ernst, Duke of Anhalt abdicated on 12 November 1918, ending the Duchy of Anhalt
- Free State of Bavaria (extant)
- Free State Bottleneck, a short-lived quasi-state that existed from 10 January 1919 until 25 February 1923
- Free State of Brunswick, a republic formed after the abolition of the Duchy of Brunswick at the end of World War I
- Free State of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, a state of the Weimar Republic established in 1918 following the German Revolution
- Free State of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, a state of the Weimar Republic established in 1918 following the German Revolution
- Free State of Oldenburg, a state of the Weimar Republic established in 1918 following the German Revolution
- Free State of Prussia, a German state formed after the abolition of the Kingdom of Prussia in the aftermath of World War I
- Free State of Saxony (extant)
- Free State of Schaumburg-Lippe, created following the abdication of Prince Adolf II of Schaumburg-Lippe on the 15 November 1918
- Free Republic of Schwarzenberg, an unoccupied area in Western Saxony that existed for several weeks after the German capitulation on May 8, 1945
- Free State of Thuringia (extant)
- Free State of Waldeck-Pyrmont, a constituent state of the Weimar Republic
- Free People's State of Württemberg, the official name of the state of Württemberg during the Weimar Republic
- Free City of Gdańsk, a semi-autonomous city-state that existed between 1920 and 1939, consisting of the Baltic Sea port of Danzig (today Gdańsk) and surrounding areas. It was created on 15 November 1920 in accordance with the terms of the 1919 Treaty of Versailles.
- Free City of Danzig (Napoleonic), a semi-independent city state established by Napoleon on 9 September 1807, during the time of the Napoleonic Wars following the capture of the city in the Siege of Danzig in May.
- The Free State Project, an American libertarian political movement, founded in 2001
- Lawrence Free State High School, a high school in Lawrence, Kansas
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Free state.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.