Friedemann Riehle (born May 30, 1959) is a German conductor.
Riehle was born in Stuttgart. After violin lessons at a young age he studied classical guitar in Stuttgart as well as orchestra conducting at the Meistersinger Academy in Nuremberg and in Vienna at the Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst (now Universität für Musik und Darstellende Kunst Wien). Already as a student he conducted his first opera night with Carl Maria von Weber's opera "Oberon". In 1995, Riehle was one of the people who founded the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. With this orchestra Riehle cooperates frequently for recordings, for the Prague New Year’s Concert as well as for concerts abroad. In order to make symphonic music easily accessible for a wider audience and especially for young people, Riehle started in 1997 to cut down long symphonic movements by Anton Bruckner and Gustav Mahler to pieces of a duration of about 7 minutes. This idea inspired many conductors years later.
Also, in order to incorporate epoch-making music of the 20th century into the classical repertoire, Riehle frequently conducts concerts with classical rock music by Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Queen. Riehle has worked with Ian Gillan of Deep Purple on eleven symphony in rock performances. And in August 2015 Riehle will conduct a rock-concert by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra in the Vienna State Opera house, called Rock the Opera.
From 1992 to 1995 and from 2009 to 2010, Friedemann Riehle was managing director of the Prague Opera Ball for the Prague State Opera. The Prague Opera Ball is the most famous charity event in the Czech Republic.
- Kuznik, Frank (2007-12-25). "Holiday classics". The Prague Post. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- "A combination of classical music with rock, dredgers and cranes in the city of iron, Ferropolis". Caramba!. Retrieved 2009-11-03. (German original in Mitteldeutsche Zeitung)
- "Symphony in Rock (official website)". Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Rock the Opera". events.at. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- "State Opera Prague Magazine, Spring 2009, p. 19" (PDF). State Opera Prague. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- "Ples v opeře. Státní opera Praha". Kdykde.cz. Retrieved 2009-11-03. (V roce 1992 tradici obnovil německý dirigent Friedemann Riehle a akce vzbudila nadšené reakce zahraničního tisku.) (in Czech)